Section Home

Welcome Veterans and Military Personnel!

Grand View is a military-friendly university and a Yellow Ribbon participant, here to assist our veterans and military personnel in receiving a first-class education.

We offer classes at our Johnston campus located on-site at the Iowa National Guard Camp Dodge. We also provide a tuition discount for evening and weekend classes for active military personnel. (See the pages on tuition and fees.) Grand View has friendly transfer policies that allows acceptance of military credit, including for the Organizational Studies major which incorporates military credit as part of the program of study.

Check out all that we have to offer in terms of military programs, benefits and policies by clicking the related links at the bottom of this page.

Grand View Services
The services listed below are general services offered on campus at Grand View.

Adult Learner Services
Academic Success
Academic Advising
Disability Services

Academic Enrichment Center
   Writing Center
   Math Lab
   Test Taking Skills
   Learning Skills
   Time Management

QUESTIONS? Explore the information below.  In the Military FAQ section, you'll find a series of commonly asked questions and clear answers.

GV Military Contacts

Grand View Contacts
Admissions Office - (515) 263-2810 or

Marsha Pickett, assistant registrar & VA certifying official - (515) 263-2818 or

Joy Brandt, Associate Director of Student Success - (515) 263-2971 or

Military Credit Transfer

Grand View accepts credit earned in the military that has been evaluated by the American Council on Education. At Grand View, we keep our transfer process simple and our transfer policies friendly. Normally all college parallel credits from accredited institutions are accepted. We accept up to 66 hours of transfer credit from junior/community colleges.

Military Transcript

In order to have your military credit transferred to Grand View, you will need to request an official transcript and have it sent to:

Grand View University
Office of Admissions
1200 Grandview Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50316

Click the links below for websites offering transcript copies and information:
ACE Transcript Services
ACE: Transcripts for Military Personnel
SMART (Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript)
CCAF (Community College of the Air Force)
A Transfer Guide: Understanding your Military Credit Recommendations 

Receiving Military Benefits

Here are some things you need to know to prepare to receive veteran's educational benefits at Grand View.

If you will be on the main campus between 8:15 am - 4:30 pm, stop in to the Registrar's office on the 2nd floor of the Humphrey Center. Marsha Pickett, Grand View certifying official, will get you started. You may also reach her at (515) 263-2818 or email at  We encourage you to fill out our Veterans Services Form so we can help get your benefits figured out promptly.

Before you begin receiving VA educational benefits you need to complete the following:
- Apply to the DVA for the category of benefits you quality for.
- Enroll in a degree program at Grand View.
- Inform the Veterans Services Coordinator of actual enrollment and provide pertinent paperwork (i.e., VA application, DD-214, NOBE, certificate of eligibility, etc.) depending on your application.

Be advised…if you are a new applicant for benefits, the processing of your claim by the VA will take a minimum of 60 to 90 days from when you submit your paperwork. You do not need to be approved for those benefits before registering for classes. If you are transferring from another college where you received VA benefits and notify the Certifying Official in a timely manner (at least 30 days before the term starts), your semester certifying process will go much faster.

Military Benefit Programs

Yellow Ribbon Program

Grand View University is pleased to be participating in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program), a provision of the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. The program is designed to help students finance, through scholarship assistance, up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit, which will only pay up to the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition.

For the 2010-2011 academic year, Grand View will provide funds toward the tuition of each qualifying veteran, with the VA matching Grand View's contribution for each student. Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate degree program and also be eligible to receive 100% of benefits from the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The amount of the Yellow Ribbon award is determined by first applying the VA benefits toward the tuition and fees. If there are tuition and fee charges above that amount, the difference - up to $5,581.00 for undergraduates and $1,478.00 for graduates per academic year - will be covered between Grand View Yellow Ribbon funds and a matching grant from Veterans Affairs. If a student already has a Grand View scholarship he/she may maintain that award, so long as the total of the combined scholarships, Iowa Tuition Grant and/or Federal Pell Grant (if the student is eligible for those) does not exceed the student's cost of attendance. Other aid may be affected.

The Department of Veterans Affairs is currently accepting applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Enhancement, you must apply to the VA. The VA will then determine your eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and issue you a Certificate of Eligibility. NOTE: You can apply using the VA Form 22-1990 (PDF), which includes the instructions needed to begin the process.

Montgomery GI Bill

The VA Certifying official assists students in applying for the Montgomery GI Bill, acts as a liaison between the student and the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).

The following students may be eligible for veterans educational benefits through the VA:
     • Former full-time-active-duty U.S. military veterans
     • Current members of the Iowa National Guard
     • Current members of U. S. military reserve units
     • Participants in the VA vocational rehabilitation program
     • Surviving dependents/spouses of service-related disabled or deceased veteran – for details about benefits and to apply

The National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP)

If you would like information regarding benefits offered by the Iowa National Guard (such as NGEAP) you may visit their website at  

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

This program is designed to assist veterans with service connected disabilities. To learn more about the program and determine if you are eligible for services, visit the
website at

VA Certifying Official: Marsha Pickett,, 515-263-2818

Military Deployment & Readmission Policies

If called to active duty, a student should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office to complete a Military Leave of Absence form unless the student cannot provide notice because the mission is classified.  Verification of military deployment must be submitted with the completed Military Leave of Absence form.

If the student is called to active duty before the mid-point of a term, the University will withdraw them from all courses and refund their tuition.

If the student is called to active military service at the mid-point of the term or later, the student may remain enrolled in their courses and will be assigned an I grade (Incomplete) for each course in which they are enrolled.  In such a case, no adjustment of tuition charges will occur.  Students have until the end of the next academic term following their release from military service to complete the course.  Failure to do so will result in the I grade becoming an F grade.

A student receiving Veteran’s Benefits should notify the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office in order to complete required documents.

A student will have one calendar year after the end of their deployment to re-enroll at Grand View.  Grand View considers the end date of deployment to be the date listed on the original deployment papers, or more recent paperwork (such as a DD-214) that lists a deployment end date.  After one calendar year beyond the deployment end date, the student will need to apply for readmission to Grand View through the Admissions Department.

A student will be re-enrolled in the same academic program (or the most similar one, if same program does not exist), will carry forward the same number of credits, and same academic status.  Grand View University scholarship awards will be preserved for students holding such awards when called to active duty.

During the first academic year of return, the veteran will be assessed the same tuition and fee charges as were in effect during the academic year he/she left the program (Veterans or other service member education benefits may be taken in to account) or up to the amount of tuition and fee charges that other students in the program are assessed for that academic year, if veteran’s education benefits, as defined in section 480(c) of the HEA, or other service member education benefits, will pay the amount in excess of the tuition and fee charges assessed for the current academic year in which the student left Grand View.

A student who wishes to re-enroll at Grand View after deployment should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office.  The VA Certifying Official will serve as the main point of contact for the student during the re-enrollment process.

Military FAQ

Find answers to the most common questions HERE.