Looking for admissions, majors or financial aid? Visit our Admissions Site.



Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Graduate Students to Receive Financial Aid

The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, requires students to maintain satisfactory progress toward their degree in order to receive financial aid. At Grand View University, these standards are established for students who are receiving or applying for financial aid from one or more of the various federal, state or institutional scholarship, grant, work or loan programs.

Grand View’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards for Financial Aid apply to all students who want to establish or maintain financial aid eligibility. These standards apply to a student’s entire academic transcript, including terms for which financial aid was not applied nor disbursed.

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards require that students successfully complete a certain percentage of attempted credit hours and maintain a minimum required grade point average as defined by the standards. These are minimum standards that must be attained. Specific aid programs or academic departments may require more than these minimum standards.

The academic progress of financial aid recipients is monitored a minimum of once each semester. Students should contact the Financial Aid Office with questions regarding the intent and/or interpretation of these standards.

Completion Rate Requirements and Duration of Eligibility
Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the credit hours they attempt. Credits for which students receive grades of “W” or “F” are counted as credits that are attempted, but not completed. Students who do not complete 67% of their attempted credit hours will be granted one warning period in which to increase their percentage of credit hours earned. Failure to achieve this standard at any point following the warning period will result in the loss of financial aid eligibility until the student has earned 67% of his or her attempted credit hours.

Eligibility will terminate when the credits required for a specific degree/program are earned.

Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirements
Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA.   Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.

Students who do not meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirements will be granted a warning period in which to raise their cumulative GPA to the minimum standard.  Failure to achieve this standard at any point following the warning period will result in the loss of financial aid eligibility until the cumulative GPA meets the minimum standard. 

Courses with a grade of Incomplete must be completed in the following semester.  Incomplete courses that remain after one semester will be assigned a grade of “F” and factored into academic progress at that time.

Warning Periods
Please note that students will receive a total of one warning period whether they are in violation of one or more Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

Repeated Coursework
When a student repeats a course, the most recent grade received will be used in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.  The credit hours for the class will be calculated as part of a student’s completion rate.  A course that has been successfully completed with a D or above can only be repeated once.

Re-establishing Eligibility
A student who has lost financial aid eligibility due to a deficiency in completed hours or GPA can regain eligibility by achieving the minimum standards established in this policy.  It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office and request that aid be reinstated when this has been accomplished.

Appeal Process
Extenuating circumstances such as the death of a relative, an injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstance that results in a student failing to achieve the minimum completed credit hours and/or GPA requirements will be evaluated by the Financial Aid Academic Progress Committee. 

A student’s appeal must include the following:

  • A completed Financial Aid Appeal Form found on the Financial Aid website under forms or in the Financial Aid Office.
  • An Academic Plan must be developed with your advisor.  The Academic Plan form can be found on the Financial Aid website under the Financial Aid Forms link or in our office.

Appeals can be sent to, Grand View University, 1200 Grandview Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50316-1599, or emailed to finaidappeals@grandview.edu.  If you have questions regarding the process please call Financial Aid at 515-263-2820.  The Financial Aid Academic Progress Committee will notify you of the appeal decision by email to your Grand View email account.