Looking for admissions, majors or financial aid? Visit our Admissions Site.



Tuition Refunds

Dropping Classes/Withdrawing

The Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act that was signed into law in October 1998 revised the formulas used in determining the amount of federal aid that is required to be returned to the respective program(s) when a student withdraws from the University. In response to these requirements, the following is a summary of Grand View's Refund and Repayment Policy.

Tuition Refunds

Dropping Classes

According to the add/drop policy set by the Curriculum Committee, a student has the first five class days of each Fall or Spring Semester to add and drop classes. The Business Office and Financial Aid Office will establish a student’s tuition charges and financial aid based on the student’s enrollment after the fifth class day of the semester. After the five days have expired, there will be no adjustment in tuition charges and no adjustment in financial aid for dropping classes unless you completely withdraw (drop all classes) from the university. Students enrolled in both accelerated sessions within a semester* will have their withdrawal calculations based upon complete attendance in the semester and not be the individual accelerated sessions.  Please contact the Financial Aid Office or Business for more information regarding your withdrawal calculation. 

*Semester is equivalent to two terms.  Fall semester (Term 1 and 2), Spring semester (Term 3 and 4), Summer (Term 5 and 6).  The add/drop period is adjusted for courses that do not last the full length of a semester or session.

Complete Withdrawal
The Reauthorization Act of 1998 amending the Higher Education Act changed the refund and repayment policy for students who withdraw from college.

Students who are considering withdrawing from Grand View University should first consider all academic options with their advisor. Students interested in officially withdrawing from the University must initiate the withdrawal by contacting the Student Life Office if a full time day student, the College for Professional and Adult Learning staff (CPAL) if a part time or evening/weekend student or the Director of Graduate Studies if a student in the graduate program. These offices will assist in completing the official withdrawal/exit form. This form must then be signed by the Financial Aid Office, then the Business Office and finally turned in to the Registrar's Office. Students who want to remain enrolled for a future term must indicate their intention in writing.

The official withdrawal date will be determined by the date that the student begins the official withdrawal process. This date will be used to determine any adjustments to tuition and financial aid awards. Students who withdraw on or after the first day of the term and before the 60% point in time in the semester will receive a prorated refund in tuition. The amount of the refund is based on the percentage of the semester that has not been completed (the number of calendar days remaining in the semester divided by the number of calendar days in the semester). Financial aid will be refunded to the respective sources (federal, state and institutional) using the same percentage. Stated simply, a student who completely withdraws after completing 20% of the semester will be charged 20% of tuition charges. Examples of the application of the refund policy are available upon request at the Financial Aid Office. If funds have been released to the student because of a credit balance on the student's account at Grand View University, then the student may be required to repay some or all or the amount released to the student. This policy is subject to federal regulations. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details and to learn of any changes to this policy.

Active Military Service Withdrawal

If called to active duty, a student should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registar's Office to complete a withdrawal form unless the student cannot provide notice because the mission is classified. Verification of military deployment should be submitted with the completed withdrawal form. If the student is called to active military service before the mid-point of a term, the University will withdraw them from all courses and refund their tuition.

If the student is called to active military service at the mid-point of the term or later, the student may remain enrolled in their courses and will be assigned an I grade (Incomplete) for each course in which they are enrolled. In such a case, no adjustment of tuition charges will occur. Students have until the end of the next academic term following their release from military service to complete the course. Failure to do so will result in the I grade becoming an F grade. A student receiving Veteran's Benefits should notify the VA Certifying Official in order to complete required documents.