College is an exciting, but sometimes confusing, time of life. Students may feel an increased need for guidance and support. This is one reason Grand View University provides every student an academic advisor.
The academic advisor is a valuable resource and can offer assistance in:
• Choosing necessary courses and planning class schedules
• Assessing academic needs and referring students to available resources
• Making decisions for long-term goals.
Enhance the Advising Experience
Students' participation in the advising process will directly impact their advising experience. They can enhance their advising experience by:
• Meeting the advisor and getting acquainted early in the first semester
• Discussing goals and raising questions or concerns
• Becoming familiar with the general education requirements and major requirements
• Visiting with the advisor when they experience academic difficulty
• Consulting with the advisor if they would like to change a plan of study, course schedule, or major.
Faculty Advising Model
Faculty members serve as academic advisors. First-year students are assigned to their New Student Seminar instructor; this allows for a closer advisor-advisee connection during the first year. Upper-class students are typically assigned an advisor based on their major; this provides the opportunity to learn from the faculty’s expert knowledge in the field of study and the major curriculum. Students who have not yet declared a major will be connected to a faculty member who can provide guidance in selecting a major. Once a major is declared, a faculty member in the major area will be identified to serve as the academic advisor.
Academic Advising Center
Students are also welcome to visit the Academic Advising Center, conveniently located in the Student Center. The Academic Advising Center is staffed with professionals who can provide support, answer questions and provide assistance when the academic advisor is not available.
Please contact the Academic Advising Center staff:
Regular office hours during the academic year: Monday–Friday, 8:15 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Summer hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.– 4:00 pm.