College is an exciting, but sometimes confusing, time of life. You may feel an increased need for guidance and support. This is one reason Grand View University provides every student an academic advisor.
Your academic advisor is a valuable resource and can offer you assistance in:
• Choosing necessary courses and planning your class schedule
• Assessing your academic needs and referring you to available resources
• Making decisions for long-term goals.
Enhance Your Advising Experience
Your participation in the advising process will directly impact your advising experience. You can enhance your advising experience by:
• Meeting your advisor and getting acquainted early in your first semester
• Discussing your goals and raising questions or concerns you may have
• Becoming familiar with the general education requirements and your major requirements
• Visiting with your advisor when you experience academic difficulty
• Consulting with your advisor if you would like to change your plan of study, course schedule, or major.
Faculty Advising Model
Faculty members serve as academic advisors. First-year students are assigned to their New Student Seminar instructor; this allows for a closer advisor-advisee connection during the first year. Upper-class students are typically assigned an advisor based on their major; this provides the opportunity to learn from the faculty’s expert knowledge in the field of study and the major curriculum. Students who have not yet declared a major will be connected to a faculty member who can provide guidance in selecting a major. Once a major is declared, a faculty member in the major area will be identified to serve as the academic advisor.
Academic Advising Center
You are also welcome to visit the Academic Advising Center, conveniently located in the Student Center. The Academic Advising Center is staffed with professionals who can provide support, answer questions and provide assistance when your academic advisor is not available.
If you have questions, please contact the Academic Advising Center staff:
Associate Director of Student Success: Academic Advising and Enrichment
Student Center, Room 205
Student Center, Room 206
Regular office hours during the academic year: Monday–Friday, 8:15 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Summer hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.– 4:00 pm.