Grand View Students Shine at Iowa College Media Awards
Grand View University’s radio station won Radio Station of the Year for the third year in a row at the Iowa College Media Awards, and Grand View students won 16 of the 21 honors given in the radio categories.
Grand View’s KDPS radio, at 88.1 FM, has been named "Best in the State" every year the award has been handed out, winning over all other Iowa college student radio stations.
For the sixth year in a row Grand View students won the top awards for "Best Show" and "Best Air Personality." Grand View won all three "Best Show" awards, including first place for Jon Kelly, second for Beth Ehlers and Susan Laielli, and third to Ed Vos.
Vos won three individual honors, including first place in "Best Air Personality" and "Best Newscast." Grand View took all three awards in the "Best Newscast" category, with Susan Laielli in second place and Beth Ehlers third. The college also won all four honors on the "Best News Programming" list with Aaron Staver taking first place, Brooke Curry second, Beth Ehlers third and Susan Laielli honorable mention.
For "Best Promo," Michael Tallman placed first, with Jon Kelly and Drew Murphy third and Beth Ehlers honorable mention. Kacy Figueroa came in third for "Best Air Personality" and honorable mention for "Best Sports Broadcast" went to Laramie Lowe and Drew Murphy.
In the video competition, Beth Ehlers won two awards in the "Best Corporate Video" category, including one for a Grand View Homecoming video she produced for the college’s alumni office.
The staff of The Grand Views won 20 awards for their work on both the print and online editions, including five first places. They were edged out by Drake University for the ICMA College Newspaper of the Year, which they had won the two previous years. This year's editor of The Grand Views is Keely Shannon.
- Best Inside Page Design to Nicole Barreca for her centerspread design on taco trucks around Grand View.
- Best Opinion Writing to Courtney Townsend for a piece about human trafficking
- Best Review to Greg Goode for a review of the movie Drive
- Best Blog to Keely Shannon for her online chronicle of the Grand View choir’s trip to the West Coast
- Most Robust Online Community and Best Online Edition both went to the staff for their website, thegrandviews.com, and use of social media.
- General Excellence (judges looked at three consecutive issues of the print edition)
- Best Photo Portfolio - Amanda Wilson
- Best News Photo - Lizz Soda
- Best Feature Photo - Matthew Gillotti
- Best Sports Photo - Chad Kriz
- Best Feature Story - Jessica Brewbaker
- Best Review - Jordan Van Essen
- Best News Photo - Amanda Wilson
- Best Feature Photo - Amanda Gabbert
- Best Photo Portfolio - Amanda Gabbert
- Best Coverage of First Amendment Issues - Keely Shannon
- Best Editorial Leadership - staff
- Best Headline Writing - Keely Shannon
- Best Use of Social Media - Stephanie Ivankovich