Navigation bar
  Print document Start Previous page
 6 of 14 
Next page End 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  

readmission and be admitted on a space
available basis in a new cohort.
Active Military Service
If students are called to active military
service before the mid-point of a term, the
University will withdraw them from all
their courses and refund their tuition.  If
students are called to active military service
at the mid-point of a term or later, students
may remain enrolled in their courses and
will be assigned an I (Incomplete) for each
course in which they are enrolled.  When
students return to the graduate program,
they will have one semester or trimester to
complete their course(s).  Students will
automatically receive a grade of F for all
courses that are not completed during the
designated time period.
Students are reminded that if withdrawal is
not official, they will be responsible for
tuition charges relating to the course(s) in
Notification to Students on
Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act of 1974
Grand View University, in full compliance
with the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act of 1974, shall make educational
records available to students upon request. 
Likewise, in accordance with the law,
individually identifiable educational records
will not be released to other than authorized
individuals without written consent of the
students.  Students have the right to file
complaints with the Family Educational
Rights and Privacy Act Office (FERPA) in
Washington, D.C., concerning alleged
failures by the institution to comply with the
Student educational records are open to
inspection and review by the individual
student with certain exceptions which are
permitted under the act.  Among those items
excepted from this policy are confidential
letters written prior to January 1, 1975,
records held by counselors and other
psychological records held on a student,
private records in the sole possession of the
maker, or financial records of the parents. 
Students' records are open to other school
officials, including teachers within the
educational institution or local educational
agency who have been determined to have
legitimate educational interest, and those
others specified in the act.
Students have the right to challenge the
contents of their education records, to have a
hearing if the outcome of the challenge is
unsatisfactory, and to submit explanatory
statements for inclusion in their files if they
feel the decision of hearing officers is
Grand View University considers the
following categories to be directory
information and, as such, may release it to
any or all inquiries in such forms as news
releases, directories, or computer address
lists:  the student's name, addresses,
telephone numbers, e-mail addresses,
advisor, major field of study, dates of
attendance, enrollment status, degrees and
awards received, honors received, most
recent previous educational agency or
institution attended, photographic view or
electronic images, class level, anticipated date
of completion, participation in official
recognized activities. 
Students who do not wish this information to
be released may prevent such release by
sending a written request to the Registrar's
Office.  If a student requests that directory
information not be released, it will prohibit
Grand View from providing any of the above
information except the student’s name,
Grand View e-mail address, and information
published in the commencement program.  If
students do not want student’s name, Grand
View university e-mail address, and
information published in the commencement
program released, they should contact the
Permanent Grades
There are four permanent grades that
indicate the quality of students work in a
course.  Three of these indicate successful
completion of the course:  A (highest), B,
and C (lowest).  The fourth, F, indicates
failure to complete the course successfully.
Several other symbols may appear on
students' transcripts.  The symbol P
indicates that students have passed a
course taken under the pass/fail option. 
The symbol W is entered on the transcript
when students withdraw.  No course in the
core or track may be taken pass/fail.
Incomplete Work
Students who have made satisfactory
progress in a course (achieved passing
grades) but are unable to complete course
requirements due to extenuating
circumstances beyond their control may
ask their instructor for an "incomplete." 
Students must discuss this option with
their instructor, document the
circumstances preventing them from
completing the course to the instructor's
satisfaction, and receive the instructor's
approval before the University will
recognize such requests.  The faculty
member, in consultation with the students,
will decide the amount of time allowed to
complete course requirements.  Students
receiving an incomplete during the Spring
Semester or during one of the summer
terms must finish all specified course work
before the end of the following fall
semester.  Students receiving an
incomplete during the fall semester must
complete all specified course work before
the end of the following spring semester. 
This completion period may be extended if
special circumstances exist.  Requests to
extend the completion period beyond one
additional semester must be made by the
instructor and approved by the graduate 
dean.  The temporary symbol I is noted on
a student's transcript when an incomplete
is granted.  This symbol is removed from
the student’s transcript and replaced with
the appropriate grade for the course if the
requirements are completed within the
designated time period.  If the
requirements are not completed during the
designated time period, the I symbol is
automatically replaced with a grade of F.
Students requesting an incomplete must fill
out an incomplete request form in
consultation with their instructor.  When
completed the faculty member must
submit it to the Registrar's Office no later
than the day grades are due for the
semester in which the course is taken.  The
registrar must sign this form to
Previous page Top Next page