Title: Lecturer of Speech & Theatre
Dept.: Speech and Theatre
Adam Yankowy currently teaches in the theatre departments at Iowa State and Grand View Universities. His Des Moines stage credits include The Monster in Young Frankenstein at the Des Moines Community Playhouse and as Paul/Bobby Understudy in Company with Iowa Stage.
Adam graduated with his MFA in Musical Theatre from Minnesota State University, Mankato (MNSU). He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education from the University of Louisville, and a Musical Theatre Performance Certificate from AMDA NYC. MNSU stage credits include Javert in Les Misérables, The Beast in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Leon Czolgosz in Assassins, George Banks in Mary Poppins and Frederick Barrett in Titanic.
Off Broadway credits include Broadway’s Rising Stars (Town Hall), Babes in Toyland (Lincoln Center), Ruddigore, The Mikado, and The Pirates of Penzance (NY City Center). Other favorite credits: big: The Musical (Paul/Zoltar), Oklahoma! (Jud), Curious George Live! (National Tour) and Streetmosphere at the Venetian Resort in Macau, China. His credits in music direction include Runaways (Drake), A Christmas Story: The Musical (MNSU), Disney's Mary Poppins (SACT), A Chorus Line (KCACTF), Olympian Bob (Plymouth Playshop).
Check Out Adam's Website
- M.F.A. Musical Theatre, Dept. of Theatre & Dance, Minnesota State University, Mankato (2016)
- B.M.E. Music Education, Instrumental Emphasis, University of Louisville (2007)
- Professional Certificate, Musical Theatre Emphasis, American Musical and Dramatic Academy (2009)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Musical Theatre
- Performance Art
- Musical Direction
Research Topics & Titles
- “Oscar Wilde: Success And Happiness”
- “Kabarett: The Necessity of the Art Form in Nazi Germany”
- “Company: The Gay Bobby”
- “Creating the Role of The Beast in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast”
- “Creating the Role of Javert in Les Misérables”
- Thesis: “Creating the Role of Frederick Barrett in Titanic: The Musical”
Awards & Honors
- Cloris Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical, “The Monster” from Young Frankenstein, Des Moines, IA (2017)
- Achievement in Musical Direction, A Christmas Story: A Musical, KCACTF Region 5, (2016)
- Musical Theatre Intensive Finalist, Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) Nationals, Kennedy Center, Washington D.C. (2015)
- Irene Ryan Finalist, KCACTF Region 5, Guthrie Theatre, Minneapolis, MN (2015)
- Irene Ryan Best Musical Theatre Actor Final Round, KCACTF Region 5 (2015)
- Irene Ryan Best Musical Theatre Actor Semi-Final Round, KCACTF Region 5 (2015 & 2016)
- Irene Ryan Semi-Finalist, KCACTF Region 5 (2014 & 2016)
Professional Organizations, Memberships, Leadership Roles
- Actor’s Equity Association- Membership Candidate (2011-Current)
- New York Gilbert & Sullivan Players Company Member (2009-Current)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (National Band Fraternity) and Tau Beta Sigma (National Band Sorority),
lifetime member (2002-Current)
- Kappa Kappa Psi, Vice President University Chapter (2004)
- Golden Key International Honor Society (2007- Current)
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|The small intimate classroom setting makes for a very personalized learning environment.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|The students are hard working and a joy to be around. I love seeing students interested to learn.