Requirements for Admission to Graduate Studies
Admission to the graduate program is determined by the Director of Graduate Studies and the Council of Graduate Studies. Completed application files will be reviewed each month and applicants will be notified of action on the 15th of each month. New students will ordinarily be admitted to the program once a year, at the beginning of the Fall term.
• A baccalaureate degree earned from a regionally accredited institution, evidenced by an official transcript. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) granting the credit.
• Validated minimum undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
• Scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or a written essay (in addition to the required cover letter). Go to www.gmat.org or www.gre.org. The GRE is most appropriate for those in education and nursing, the GMAT for those in business. See the FAQ section at the right for more information on the entrance exams. Click HERE for instructions about the essay.
• A minimum of two years of full-time employment or approval of the Council of Graduate Studies.
• An application for admission.
• A cover letter that addresses 1) the student’s interest in the program, including the identification of short-term and long-term career goals; 2) the skills and experiences the student will contribute to the program; and 3) expectations the student has of the program.
• A professional resume.
• Three letters of recommendation, including one from an undergraduate faculty member (or a substitute approved by the Council of Graduate Studies), one from an employer, and one from another person who can attest to the student’s ability to successfully engage in graduate study.
• Application fee of $40.00, nonrefundable.
• An interview with the Director of Graduate Studies once the application file is complete.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR EDUCATION APPLICANTS
• A current license to teach in the state of Iowa, or a teaching license from another state and seeking Iowa licensure.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR NURSING APPLICANTS
• Baccalaureate degree with an upper division major in nursing from a program accredited by the National League for Nursing or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
• Current Iowa license as a registered professional nurse.
• Professional liability insurance of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 coverage.
• A baccalaureate-level statistics course approved by the Council of Graduate Studies.
• Current CPR (professional level) certification.
• Health requirement, including TB testing, hepatitis B, varicella.
• Criminal background screening.
Students whose native language is not English must also submit evidence of mastery of the English language: a minimum TOEFL score of 550 for the paper test or 210 for the computerized test.
Click HERE to apply online.
To pay your application fee, click HERE.