Looking for admissions, majors or financial aid? Visit our Admissions Site.



Section Home

Military FAQ

Q. How can I find out of I am eligible for Veterans educational benefits?

A. You may refer to the VA Education website by clicking HERE. At this site you can read through a great deal of information regarding education benefits and what may be available to you, as well as apply for benefits. If you think you may be eligible for the GI Bill it is recommended that you go ahead and apply for benefits as that is the best way to determine your eligibility.

Q. How do I know what VA Chapter I am?

A. After applying for benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. This will tell you what chapter of benefits you are qualified for and how many months of eligibility you have left. If you are Chapter 33 it will also tell you what tier of benefits you will receive. If you cannot locate your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), please contact the GI Bill Education center at: 1-888-442-4551 to inquire about your chapter, as well as request another copy of your COE.

Q. Can I use two chapters of the GI Bill at the same time?

A. No. However, once you use up one chapter of benefits, you may be eligible for an additional 12 months of benefits under Chapter 33. Please contact GI Bill Education center at: 1-888-442-4551 for more information.

Q. Will my Reserves/National Guard basic training and/or AIT training transfer to my college work at Grand View?

Probably not because these training programs are typically so military specific. However, if you have submitted an application for admission to Grand View and your DD 214 from that training, we will evaluate for transfer for you. In fact, the VA requires us to evaluate past education if you are receiving benefits.

Q. I can’t find my DD 214. How can I get another one?

On the web, click HERE and print the request form. Send to:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.

Or call 1-800-827-1000 and ask them to send you Form SF 180.

Q. I don’t have my Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Where can I get one?

Check your personnel files from when you enlisted in the Reserves/National Guard. You should have been given a NOBE after finishing your AIT training. If you do not have one, contact the administrative officer at your Guard or Reserve unit.

Q. How do I know if I have been ‘certed’ for this semester?

A. The Grand View VA Certifying Official certifies all eligible students prior to each semester, but only if you are registered. If you register late or want to know for certain that you have been ‘certed’ please contact 515-263-2818.

Q. When will my money start coming?

A. Veterans benefits are paid a month in arrears. That means that you must be attending school for one full month at the beginning of each term before you begin to receive your money.

Q. I attended last semester but did not apply for VA benefits until this term, even though I was eligible. Can I still get paid for last term?

A. We can back certify you for up to a year as long as you were indeed eligible during that time.

Q. I attended another school before and received MGIB there. What do I have to do to have those benefits continue now that I’m at Grand View?

You need to complete a VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Place of Training or Program. This form can be obtained from Grand View and when completed must be submitted to Grand View either by mail or FAX if you cannot do it in person. Call 515-263-2818 to request that a VA Form 22-1995 be sent to you, or you may fill out this form online by clicking HERE.

Q. How can I get transfer credits applied from that previous school?

A. When you apply for admission to Grand View, request that your prior school(s) submit an official transcript to:

Grand View Admissions
1200 Grandview Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50316

We will evaluate your prior education for possible transfer and they will notify you of their decision.

Q. I think my VA monthly payment is wrong! How can I find out?

A. Call the St. Louis RPO at 1-888-442-4551 and choose to speak to a real person instead of using the automated menu. Have your SSN and your credit hour enrollment schedule in front of you.

Q. If I get deployed, will I have to pay back any VA money I may already have received?

A. Upon proof of actual deployment you must bring a copy of your orders to Grand View as soon as possible after you receive them. If you do not have time to bring them, send them to:

Dana Brubaker, Registrars Office
1200 Grandview Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50316.

The office will submit a withdrawal of enrollment to the VA under mitigating circumstances-deployment. Your entitlement draw will be stopped, but you will not be required to pay back any money the VA has already paid you for the semester.

Q. I’m not doing so well in some of my classes. Will the VA stop paying my benefits if I fail a course?

. No. However, as a student receiving VA educational benefits, you are required by the DVA to maintain satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the accepted standards of Grand View. Should you complete a course but receive a failing grade (F), the VA will pay you to retake that course one time without penalty. If you are experiencing academic difficulties or difficulties in receiving your VA benefits, contact the Veterans Services coordinator at 515-263-2818 immediately.

Q. What happens if I just stop coming to school and fail to officially notify either the university or the VA?

A. You will have wasted money on a semester you didn’t gain from, you will have all F’s on your transcript, and any money the VA has paid, you will owe back to them. And they will get it back.