Looking for admissions, majors or financial aid? Visit our Admissions Site.


Families of Current Students

Academic Services Overview

Because we want all students to be successful at Grand View, we provide a variety of academic support services designed to lead every student successfully toward graduation.

In the sections below, you can review and locate the various support services on campus.

Academic Advising

College is an exciting, but sometimes confusing, time of life. Students may feel an increased need for guidance and support. This is one reason Grand View  University provides every student an academic advisor.

The academic advisor is a valuable resource and can offer assistance in:
• Choosing necessary courses and planning class schedules
• Assessing academic needs and referring students to available resources
• Making decisions for long-term goals.

Enhance the Advising Experience
Students' participation in the advising process will directly impact their  advising experience. They can enhance their advising experience by:
• Meeting the advisor and getting acquainted early in the first semester
• Discussing goals and raising questions or concerns
• Becoming familiar with the general education requirements and major requirements
• Visiting with the advisor when they experience academic difficulty
• Consulting with the advisor if they would like to change a plan of study, course schedule, or major.

Faculty Advising Model
Faculty members serve as academic advisors. First-year students are assigned to their New Student Seminar instructor; this allows for a closer advisor-advisee connection during the first year. Upper-class students are typically assigned an advisor based on their major; this provides the opportunity to learn from the faculty’s expert knowledge in the field of study and the major curriculum. Students who have not yet declared a major will be connected to a faculty member who can provide guidance in selecting a major. Once a major is declared, a faculty member in the major area will be identified to serve as the academic advisor.

Academic Advising Center
Students are also welcome to visit the Academic Advising Center, conveniently located in the Student Center. The Academic Advising Center is staffed with professionals who can provide support, answer questions and provide assistance when the academic advisor is not available.

Please contact the Academic Advising Center staff:

Cathy Brent
Director of Student Success
Rasmussen Center, Room 204


Wendy Fedler
Associate Director of Student Success: Academic Advising
Student Center, Room 123

Lauren Haugh
Academic Advisor
Student Center WS 5


Brigid Ernst
Administrative Assistant

Regular office hours during the academic year: Monday–Friday, 8:15 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Summer hours: Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.– 4:00 pm.

Academic Learning and Teaching :: ALT Center

Students are our first priority, so we offer a range of academic support services to help them reach their academic goals.  To learn more, visit the Academic Learning and Teaching Center.

  • Academic Enrichment: help with time management and test-taking skills
  • English as a Second Language/English Language Learners
  • Math Lab: Specific tutoring available for additional mathematics questions and practice
  • Tutoring: Peer tutors are available to provide extra assistance in specific courses
  • Writing Center: Peer tutors to support writers at any stage of the writing process


Disability Services

Grand View is committed to enriching the academic experience of every qualified student and endorses reasonable accommodations for participation in all programs and activities. Students with disabilities should schedule an appointment in the Academic Enrichment Center to:

• review University policies and procedures
• request accommodations
• develop an accommodation plan
• discuss personal advocacy issues
• assess learning difficulties and needs

Transitioning Accommodations from High School to College
If a student  has been receiving accommodations in high school and would like to continue using them at the college level, the student will need to complete the Support for Accommodation Request form (SAR) to determine which accommodations may continue. This should be completed by a school professional who knows the student and has access to  accommodation records. If you have any questions about completing this form, please contact:

Joy Brandt
Associate Director of Student Success: Disability Services
Student Center, Student Life and Success, Room 127