Section Home

Answers to Residential Life Questions

Is there a deadline for submitting housing paperwork?
Our preference is that you submit paperwork as soon as you receive it. Housing is at a premium and the earlier paperwork is received the better chance of the student's opportunities to attain housing.

How do I finalize the housing application process?
There are three components to the housing application process. You must submit a Housing and Meal Contract and pay the $100 enrollment deposit and $200 housing deposit. When these three steps are completed, your housing paperwork is finalized and you will be placed during the housing placement process.

Is the contract a binding agreement that has immediate, long-standing and irreversible financial obligations?
The Housing and Meal contract is a binding agreement between the student and Grand View University. The contract is for both the fall and spring semesters. If a student is a residential student in the fall and is enrolled in the spring at Grand View, he/she is under financial obligation for housing for the spring semester. Therefore, the contract is a two-semester agreement. Contracts can be terminated without penalty through July 15 by informing the Director of Residence Life in writing.

I've heard there is no housing for incoming freshmen and transfer students. Is this true?
Grand View has campus requirements that require all freshmen and sophomores to live on campus unless the student meets one of the exemption criteria. Therefore, all incoming freshmen and sophomores will have beds on the immediate Grand View campus.

When will I receive my housing assignment for the fall?
Fall assignments are mailed around July 5. Residential students who enroll after housing assignments are made in early July will receive housing information after placement occurs, which will be within two weeks of submitting the housing contract.

How do I know who my roommate is?
Housing assignments contain roommate information detailing where your roommate is from and how you can contact them.

How is it determined where I live? 
Housing and Meal Contracts are important for the placement of students living in campus housing. Grand View does our best to meet the preferences of residential students. Housing and Meal Contracts, housing deposits, and enrollment deposits received are dated and preferred placement occurs by the date received. Also, it is important to remember that privileged spaces are limited and returning students are placed in their housing preferences before first-year assignment are made.

How do my roommate and I get paired together?
All of the residential spaces are same gender spaces. Therefore, women are placed with women and men are placed with men. We gather and compare information from the housing applications and assign roommates based on commonalities such as academic major, athletics, interests, hobbies, music preference, etc.

Will I be guaranteed a roommate that I request?
Roommate requests are only considered if both roommates indicate on the housing applications that they want to live together. These dual requests are highly considered and likely placed together. However, the odds of being placed with a requested roommate diminish if both students' paperwork is not received by May 1 housing application deadline. Without paperwork from both students, the roommate request will not be considered and the person with the paperwork in will be placed with someone else.

What kind of an environment am I going to be moving into?
Nielsen Hall and Knudsen Hall are traditional first-year student living residence halls. Nielsen and Knudsen Hall are co-ed buildings, divided by floor. Freshmen also have a suite style living option available in the Langrock Suites. Our newest addition, the Hull Suites, is suite style living primarily occupied by sophomores. Upperclassmen are typically placed in the Hull Apartments, or the L Apartments. Upperclassmen looking for a private living atmosphere may request to live in a Knudsen single room.  A resident assistant lives on each floor to help direct residents, answer questions, maintain a secure living environment, and provide activities for the community. 

What happens if my roommate and I do not get along?
Roommate conflicts occasionally occur. The residence life staff is trained to deal with these issues and it is our hope that conflicts can be resolved before they become a burden to either student personally or academically. After the first two weeks of school, if roommates are not getting along and are not having a quality experience at Grand View, we will do our best to accommodate these issues and move roommates into a different space that will better fit their lifestyle.

Are the residence halls air conditioned?
Knudsen and Nielsen Halls do not have air conditioning. Students living in these halls with illnesses that can be affected by heat have the opportunity to get a window unit installed by the university. The unit is provided by the school. The unit will only be installed if doctor recommendation in writing is provided by the student. An additional fee is charged for having air conditioning in your residence hall space. All other student residences are equipped with air conditioning.

What is provided in the residence halls and what can I bring?
Please click on the appropriate link to determine what you can bring in each of the halls.
Residence Halls (Nielsen and Knudsen)
Hull Apartments
Hull & Langrock Suites
L Apartments

Are laundry services provided?
Coin-operated washers and dryers are located in every residence hall on campus.

What policies am I going to have to live by?
All residential policies are laid out in the Community Standards of Conduct but a few major policies are listed below. Knudsen, Nielsen, Langrock and Hull Apartments & Suites are dry, meaning no alcohol can be possessed or consumed in those buildings. The L is allowed to have alcohol but only for students who are of legal drinking age. Additionally, of-age upperclassmen living in Knudsen single may have their room registered as a wet room. However, alcohol policies are subject to change depending on the mix of student levels in any particular residence. Twenty-four hour courtesy hours are in effect and there are specific quiet hours also. All campus buildings are smoke-free.

Is the campus safe?
We have security officer on campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The number to contact security is 263-6000. Residential buildings are locked at all times and have ID card access to residents. Emergency phones are located throughout campus and are directly connected to the Des Moines Police Department. Escorts are available by campus security at any time. Cameras also are used in our residential parking lots to add security. Additional information is available on the campus crime report.

How do I get into my building and onto my floor?
The Grand View ID card you receive will grant you access to your building and/or your floor of the residence. Your ID picture will be taken during registration and you will be given your ID card in your move-in packet during New Student Days weekend. A lost ID will cost $15 to replace.

What is my address and how do I recieve mail?
The mailing address, which includes USPS mail and shipping services (UPS, FedEx, etc.) for all students is:
Student Name
Student Box Number
2811 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50316

The US Postal Service will deliver all addressed mail to the Student Center.  Campus Services delivers mail to student mailboxes, located in the Student Center.  Mail is distributed weekdays by 5 p.m. when offices are open.  You will be given one mailbox for your entire stay as a residential student. 

On the contract, I have to determine what meal plan I want. How exactly does that work?
Meal Plan options are offered for all students at Grand View.  See also Dining Services.

Where will I eat?
There are several food service options available. Knudsen Hall Residential Restaurant is the main dining location on campus and offers all you care to eat full service dining; it is located in the lower level. Montague's is a supplemental food option for students on the meal plan. The deli provides hot Panini sandwiches and flatbread melts, made to order sandwiches, Grab and Go Salads and Premade sandwiches. Jensen Hall offers international made to order dishes.  Our newest location is Einstein Bros. Bagel in the Library.  Einstein’s offers a sophisticated blend of freshly baked bagels and sandwiches, hearty soups, specialty salads and gourmet coffee.

What if I need first aid? 
Each hall director has a first aid kit in their room for minor injuries. Additionally, on-call RAs carry first aid kits with them and are available to respond to student requests. A nurse practitioner is located in the Health Services Office in the Wellness Center and can assist you with health issues. If you have an emergency that requires hospital attention, our residence life staff is trained in proper protocol