Dr. Heather Brady
Title: Professor of Liberal Arts
Dept.: Liberal Arts
Office: Jensen Hall 109
Heather Brady teaches global awareness courses around topics related to immigration. She is also involved with local organizations serving immigrant and refugee communities. In Des Moines she is a current member of the Greater Des Moines Leadership Institute. In her free time, she loves world travel and hanging out with her son Quinn.
- B.A. in French from Kalamazoo College
- M.A. in Comparative Literature from The University of Texas at Austin
- Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from The University of Texas at Austin
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- French, African and Latin American literature and cultures
- Community engagement
- Study abroad
Research / Accomplishments
- Coordinator, Global Vision Week 2017: Sharing Stories of Immigration and Belonging
- Greater Des Moines Partnership Leadership Institute, 2017-2018
- Iowa Campus Compact Faculty Fellowship, 2016-2017 “Mapping the Movements of San Cristóbal Magallanes: Regional Identity in the Face of Migration in the North of Jalisco/South of Zacatecas” (chapter in Cartographies of Movement at the Universidad de Guadalajara, 2013)
- Garcia-Robles Fulbright Scholarship to Mexico, 2010-2011
- Fulbright-Hays Grant to Mexico with Rust College, Summer 2010
- “The Global Perspectives of her Art: Monmouth College Interviews Writer and Painter Véronique Tadjo.” Co-Written with James Bukari & Dan Bansley. Ufahamu: Journal of African Studies (January 2008)
- “Recovering Claire de Duras’s Creole Inheritance: Race and Gender in the Exile Correspondence of her Saint-Domingue Family.” In L’Esprit Créateur, Vol. 47, No. 4 (2007): 45-56
- Mellon Summer Institute in French Paleography, Newberry Library, Chicago, 2006
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View puts a strong focus on student learning in classes along with co-curricular activities. We emphasize student leadership in all that we do.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|At Grand View I feel empowered to continue learning. I keep developing myself professionally in a vibrant urban community that is undergoing constant change.