We're excited you're considering Grand View University! Here you will find our policy on residency requirements.
At Grand View, we understand that a sense of community and genuine, personal relationships are important for personal growth outside the classroom. Our staff works with other campus organizations to offer activities that complement academics as well as help you develop socially, emotionally, and physically.
Are You Exempt?
Full-time students are required to live on campus for three years, however, there are some exceptions:
- You are 22 years old prior to the first day of class.
- You are a veteran with at least two years active military service.
- You are married and living with your spouse.
- You have dependent child(ren) living with you.
- You commute to school daily from the permanent, legal residence of their parent(s)/grandparent(s)/legal guardian(s) within 30 miles.
- You attended college for at least two years and held an off campus lease agreement during the two years of enrollment prior to attending Grand View.
- You have graduated from high school three or more years ago.
Your Next Steps
If you are under the age of 22 prior to the first day of the term, you must do the following in order to be considered for a housing exemption:
- Complete, sign, and return the housing exemption application.
- A parent, grandparent or legal guardian must also sign the housing exemption application if you are under 22 and requesting an exemption to commute from the permanent home of your parent(s), grandparent(s) or legal guardian (within a 30 mile radius).
- A copy of a lease agreement in your name must be provided if you are requesting exemption due to living off campus while attending college for two years.
Housing Exemption Request Form
Benefits of Living on Campus
Students who live in the residence halls are more likely to finish their degrees and receive better grades than students who live off campus during the first year or two of college. Other reasons include:
- Residents have access to resident assistants, hall directors, an academic resource center with computer labs, study lounges, and multimedia classrooms.
- Meet new friends and participate in organized social activities.
- Each hall has a laundry facility.
- Each room is internet- and cable TV-ready.
- You can roll out of bed and walk to class. Residence halls are conveniently located near your classes.
- The Student Dining Center offers unique meals everyday.
- We have security officers on campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week offering campus safety and security.