April 26, 2021 | Wells Fargo Arena | 7 p.m.
Changing the date from the originally intended Saturday, April 24 to the evening of Monday, April 26 allows us to move to the larger venue (instead of HyVee Hall). The Arena will give us plenty of room to socially distance and will allow students to invite family and friends.
We are still working out many details, so more information will follow.
August 15, 2020 | Wells Fargo Arena | 2 p.m.
*Grand View was happy to announce we rescheduled Commencement 2020! The new date was August 15, 2020 at 2 p.m. in the Wells Fargo Arena. In an effort to adhere to social distancing a few changes had been made, including:
- The location had changed from Hyvee Hall to Wells Fargo Arena in order to allow larger space for social distancing.
- The Academic Hooding and Baccalaureate did not take place in 2020, but we look forward to bringing it back in 2021.
Recognizing our 2020 Graduates
Use this page as a resource to your graduation preparation: how to apply for degree, participate in commencement ceremonies, and transition into an alumni. Let your friends and family know of your big day by downloading commencement announcements here.
Degree Application Process
- Early in your time at Grand View, you set up a completion plan in myView through Student Self Service, listing all the classes you planned to complete. Review it with your advisor regularly. Around 15 months before you plan to finish your last class at Grand View, submit the Student Self Service graduation application to notify the registrar’s office that it is time to review the final version of your plan.
- During your final year, you will let Grand View know whether you’ll participate in the commencement ceremony, including providing the name you’d like on your diploma and your cap and gown information, by completing an online Commencement RSVP form found on myView.
- About a month before you finish your last class, you will complete an online Graduation Checkout form to provide an address for your diploma to be mailed.
- Additional information can be found on myView on the Graduation page. Watch your Grand View email account for reminders!
|What Is Commencement?
Commencement is an opportunity to celebrate our graduates and candidates for graduation from the current academic year who choose to attend. For the past several years, more than 400 students have participated in each commencement ceremony.
Commencement ceremonies are held once a year in April. Grand View does not host a commencement ceremony in December. Mid-year graduates are welcome to participate in the April event.
Guests whose visit to Des Moines will include hotel and air accommodations are encouraged to book early. Other large events are frequently scheduled in Des Moines the last weekend in April, so options can fill quickly.
|Ceremony & Events
Graduates must be lined up by 1 p.m. in full academic attire. Additional details for graduates, including a timeline and frequently asked questions, can be found on myView. Students will need to log in to view the information.
Doors open at approximately 12:30 p.m. for guests, and seating fills quickly. Please allow adequate time for walking from the parking lots to the Hall and plan to be seated by 1:30 p.m. The ceremony begins promptly at 2 p.m. and includes remarks from a student speaker as well as an honored guest speaker. The ceremony usually lasts approximately two hours.
To reserve tickets for your guests, you or they, can use this link. The general seating tickets are free, but you will notice Wells Fargo has included a paid option to reserve a private suite for groups of up to 20 if you are interested. If you have questions about the ticketing system, please contact the Iowa Events Center ticket office by calling them at 844-55-HYVEE.
All tickets will be a mobile ticket (available on their phone) or they can print it off at home. You will not need to come to the box office for physical tickets. Please remind your guests to bring their electronic or mobile ticket to the event.
Iowa Events Center prohibits outside food and beverages, but water will be available in the ceremony hall.
Students will not have a secure place to store their belongings (purses, wallets, phones) during line-up and the processional, so we strongly encourage graduates to give their valuables to guests or family members until after the ceremony.
Unfortunately the 2020 Baccalaureate Ceremony has been cancelled due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19.
Maps & Parking
Doors to Wells Fargo Arena will open at 12:30 p.m. Please direct your guests to enter through main, north door. Please see the attached map for parking and entrance directions. Concession stands will also be open for guests to purchase food and beverages.
All guests are expected to bring and wear masks during the event. There will be masks available at the entrances for anyone who needs one.
Both during and after the ceremony, there will not be access to the main floor for photos. A professional photographer will be taking photos of all graduates as they cross the stage and after they receive their diploma. We ask that all guests exit through the north doors for photos and to please avoid congregating in groups.
|Transition to Alumni Status
- Update your address via myView; future communications from Grand View University will be sent to this address.
- Remit payment for any outstanding balance on your bill via myView. Transcripts and diplomas may not be released until your balance is paid in full.
- Update email routing address via myView.
- Financial Aid impacts each student differently; student borrowers should contact the financial aid office to determine if exit counseling is required.
- Cancel student health insurance if enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan.
|Request Your Diploma
A diploma is awarded by Grand View University upon successful completion of a program of study. This document is suitable for framing. It is not considered an official document.
Commencement is a ceremony to celebrate our graduates and candidates for graduation. Graduation is the process of reviewing a student’s record to ensure all requirements are completed and adding the degree to the student’s transcript. Students petition to graduate one year prior to their anticipated graduation date after mapping out their course plans with their academic advisors (students can find the required forms on myView). Degrees are added to students’ records when all requirements are met, and emails and letters are sent if any requirements are unmet. We also email whether any requirements that will prohibit the release of the diploma are unmet.
Diplomas are ordered through a vendor several times each year. Students do not receive their actual diploma on the day of commencement; rather, they will receive a diploma cover that is empty inside. Once all requirements have been met, Grand View mails a diploma and an unofficial transcript to an address supplied by the student.
Duplicate / Replacement Diplomas
Duplicate/Replacement diplomas can be requested and returned to the Office of the Registrar.
Have a Question?
If you have a question, please contact the Registrar's office at (515) 263-2960 or email registrar @ grandview.edu.