Title: Lecturer of Business Administration
Dept.: Business Administration, Liberal Arts
Emily J. Shields has served as executive director of Iowa Campus Compact (IACC) since 2011. She received a B.A. degree in journalism and political science from the University of Iowa and a master’s degree in philanthropy and nonprofit development at the University of Northern Iowa. Shields served as chief of staff for the Rebuild Iowa Office; a state agency created to coordinate Iowa’s recovery from the 2008 disasters and was senate liaison and policy adviser to Iowa’s governor. She has worked in field organizing and fundraising for political campaigns and served as an AmeriCorps VISTA member at Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio, Texas. She is the co-chair of the National Campus Compact Network Operations Committee and serves on the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission, the Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service, the Grinnell College Prize Review Committee, and the Grand View University Business School Advisory Council.
- Master of Arts in Philanthropy and Nonprofit Development, University of Northern Iowa (2013-2015)
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Political Science, University of Iowa (1997-2001)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Community Engagement
- 2015 Governor’s Volunteer Award
- 2014 AmeriCorps Alums Local Leadership Award
- 2010 Des Moines Business Record Forty Under 40
- 2008 Governor’s Excellence Award
- McReynolds, M. & Shields, E. (Eds.). (2015). Diving deep in community engagement: A Model for professional development. Des Moines: Iowa Campus Compact.
- 2016 Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference, Omaha, NE / Deepening Capacity: Using Institutional Self-Assessment to Drive Civic Engagement on Campus
- 2016 National Campus Compact Conference, Boston, MA / Diving Deep: Building Strategic Leadership and Scholarship for the Future
- 2015 Eastern Region Campus Compact Conference, Newark, NJ / Diving Deep in Community Engagement: A Model for Professional Development
- 2015 Continuums of Service Conference, Long Beach, CA / Diving Deep in Community Engagement: A Model for Professional Development
- 2014 Upper Midwest Civic Engagement Summit, University of Wisconsin-Stout / Diving Deep: Growing the Field of Civic Engagement Practitioner-Scholars
- 2014 Upper Midwest Civic Engagement Summit, University of Wisconsin-Stout / Communications on a Budget
- 2014 Statewide Teaching and Learning Conference, Des Moines Area Community College / Launch your: Methods of assessment, Assessment philosophy, Results-driven practices, and Sustainable service-learning
- 2012 Iowa Association of Community College Trustees Conference, Okoboji, IA / Civic Engagement and College Success
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Commitment to community and diverse student population.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|Getting to know students and working with great faculty and staff