Title: Lecturer of Sociology
After graduating from Drake University in 1983 I started working part-time at the Fort Des Moines Residential Correctional Facility. I fell in love with the work. I stayed on with the Fifth Judicial District Department of Correctional Services for 33 years working at Fort Des Moines and the Women's Residential Correctional Facility. I have experience working with adults and juveniles with an emphasis in the counseling and treatment aspect. I retired from the 5th District in Nov. 2016. I've taught in the Criminal Justice department at Des Moines Area Community College since 2011. I taught my first class at Grand View in the spring of 2017.
I began co-facilitating a Batterer's Education group at the 5th District Department of Correctional Services through a grant/study with Iowa State University. This group work began in August 2018 and is expected to continue for about 2 years. I began advising some Grand View students in the Fall of 2018. I also teach a Driver Improvement class at DMACC that is a DOT requirement for some driving violations.
- B.A. degree in Sociology from Drake University
- Master's Degree in Social Work, University of Iowa
- Licensed Independent Social Worker
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Criminal Justice
- Community-based corrections
- Managed a Women's Residential Correctional Facility for a number of years
- Past President of the Iowa Corrections Association
- I love to travel and spend time with family and friends.
- I volunteer with my church and reading to a child after school.
- I enjoy watching a variety of sporting events.
- I like rock 'n roll music, riding my bike and relaxing with a good book or favorite TV show.
- Volunteer at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women
- Read as a volunteer for the Iowa Radio and Reading Information Service for the Blind and Print Handicapped With IRIS
- Facilitate a group at Hiatt Middle School for teen girls who have a parent or relative incarcertated.
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|The number of athletic teams and students that participate in sports.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I enjoy the smaller size of Grand View and the diversity of the students and faculty.