Title: Lecturer of Education
- University of Northern Iowa - B.A. - Elementary and Early Childhood (1993)
- Viterbo University - Masters in Elementary Education (1998)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
Elementary mathematics and teaching through a problem based approach. I am passionate about the use of number choice in problems. This provides a way to differentiate and support students' on their learning trajectories.
Research / Accomplishments
- Transforming the Task with Number Choice. Co-authored book regarding developing number choices for instruction to meet Common Core Curriculum and mathematical progressions.
- NCTM 2015 Learning to Teach Mathematics for Understanding: Clearing the Clutter.
- Iowa State University Co- authored math methods instructional course book with Dr. Corey Drake TBP by NCTM 2015 Constructing Coherence: Elementary Teachers’ Strategies for Using Standards – Based Mathematics Curriculum Materials, Iowa State University.
- Five year research study examining how teachers design lessons based on standard based curriculum, Common Core Curriculum and student understanding. 2010-present
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View offers so many unique opportunities for undergraduate students to engage in and be involved with. The size of the University helps support all students to be successful in their academic endeavors.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I enjoy coming to campus on Wednesday evenings and visiting with students before and after class. I enjoy getting to know them and learning about their world.