Dropping Classes / Withdrawing

The Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act that was signed into law in October 1998 revised the formulas used in determining the amount of federal aid that is required to be returned to the respective program(s) when a student withdraws from the University. In response to these requirements, the following is a summary of Grand View’s Refund and Repayment Policy that includes Return of Title IV Funds calculations.

Dropping Classes

According to the add/drop policy set by the Curriculum Committee, a student has the first five class days of each Fall, Spring or Summer Semester to add and drop classes. The Business Office and Financial Aid Office will establish a student’s tuition charges and financial aid based on the student’s enrollment after the fifth class day of the semester.

After the five days have expired, there will be no adjustment in tuition charges and no adjustment in financial aid for dropping or adding classes unless you completely withdraw (drop all classes) from the university. Students enrolled in both accelerated sessions within a semester* will have their withdrawal calculations based upon complete attendance in the semester and not based upon the individual accelerated sessions. Please contact the Financial Aid Office or Business Office for more information regarding your withdrawal calculation.

*Semester is equivalent to two terms. Fall semester (Term 1 and 2), Spring semester (Term 3 and 4), Summer (Term 5 and 6). The add/drop period is adjusted for courses that do not last the full length of a semester or session.

Complete Withdrawal

The Reauthorization Act of 1998 amending the Higher education Act changed the refund and repayment policy for students who withdraw from college.

Students who are considering withdrawing from Grand View University should first consider all academic options with their advisor. Students should then consult with the Financial Aid and Business Offices to understand the financial implications of a complete withdrawal. Students who then decide to officially withdraw from the University must contact the Registrar’s Office if a full- or part-time day student, or the College for Professional and Adult Learning staff (CPAL) if an evening/weekend or graduate student. These offices will assist in completing the official withdrawal/exit form. Students who wish to remain enrolled for a future term must indicate their intention in writing.

The official withdrawal date will be determined by the date that the student begins the official withdrawal process. This date will be used to determine any adjustments to tuition and financial aid awards. Students who withdraw on or after the first day of the term and before the 60% point in time in the semester will receive a prorated refund in tuition. The amount of the refund is based on the percentage of the semester that has not been completed (the number of calendar days remaining in the semester divided by the number of calendar days in the semester). Financial aid will be refunded to the respective sources (federal, state and institutional) using the same percentage. Stated simply, a student who completely withdraws after completing 20% of the semester will be charged 20% of tuition charges. Examples of the application of the refund policy and Return of Title IV fund calculation are available upon request at the Financial Aid Office. If funds have been released to the student because of a credit balance on the student’s account at Grand View University, then the student may be required to repay some or all of the amount released to the student. This policy is subject to federal regulations. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details and to learn of any changes to this policy.

Late Withdrawal Policy

Students who wish to withdraw from one or more of their courses after the first 60% of the term for medical reasons or for rare circumstances must apply to the Late Withdrawal Committee in order to receive grades of W for their course(s). To apply, students must submit the undergraduate withdrawal form and must provide documentation supporting the reasons for requesting a late withdrawal. The withdrawal form and documentation should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office. In the case of illness, students must provide a letter from a licensed professional documenting their need to withdraw. No refund will be granted for a withdrawal that occurs after the first 60% of the term. The Late Withdrawal Committee will consist of the Registrar, the Director of Student Success, and the Director of Counseling and Leadership. Students whose request is denied may appeal to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.

Active Military Service Withdrawal

If called to active duty, a student (or student who is a spouse/dependent child of a member of the military called to active duty, and who needs to withdraw due to the call-up), should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office to complete a Military Leave of Absence form. Verification of military deployment should be submitted with the completed Military Leve of Absence form. 

If the student is called to active military service before the midpoint of a term, the student may request to withdraw from some or all courses and the University will fully refund their tuition and mandatory fees for the withdrawn courses. 

If the student is called to active duty military service during the term, the student may make arrangements with their instructors to remain enrolled in some or all of their course and will be assigned an I grand (Incomplete) for each course in which they remain enrolled. In such a case, no adjustment of tuition charges for enrolled courses will occur. Students have until the end of the next academic term following their release from military service to complete the course. Failure to do so will result in the “I” grade becoming an F grade. A student receiving Veteran’s Benefits should notify the VA Certifying Official in order to complete required documents.

A student will be re-enrolled in the same academic program (or the most similar one, if same program does not exist), will carry forward the same number of credits, and same academic status. Grand View University scholarship awards will be preserved for students holding such awards when called to active duty.

During the first academic year of return, the veteran will be assessed the same tuition and fee charges as were in effect during the academic year he/she left the program (Veterans or other service member education benefits may be taken into account) or up to the amount of tuition and fee charges that other students in the program are assessed for that academic year, if veteran’s education benefits, as defined in section 480© of the HEA, or other service member education benefits, will pay the amount in excess of tuition and fee charges assessed for the current academic year in which the student left for Grand View.

A student who wishes to re-enroll at Grand View after deployment should contact the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office. The VA Official will serve as the main point of contact for the student during the re-enrollment process.