Dr. Cynthia Wiley
Title: Assoc Prof of Art & Design & Dept Chair
Office: Rasmussen Center 111
Check Out My Academic Website
Cyndi Wiley is an interaction designer, creative coder, artist, casual gamer, and educator. She began her career in the late ’90s in St. Louis, Missouri, working as a graphic designer and creative director, running a business, and developing a deep love of cats. She holds a Master of Fine Arts degree in Graphic Design and a Ph.D. in Human Computer Interaction from Iowa State University. Her design work and writing have been published nationally and internationally. She is an Assistant Professor of Art and Design at Grand View University. She resides in Des Moines with her partner, two dogs and four cats.
- Ph.D. Human Computer Interaction - Iowa State University (2014)
- Dissertation: “Teaching, Connecting, and Having Fun: The Interplay between Empathy, Play, and Comics in Graphic Design Higher Education”
- Major Professor: Debra Satterfield
- MFA Graphic Design - Iowa State University (2012)
- Thesis: “Empathy, connectivity, authenticity, and trust (e-CAT): A rhetorical framework for creating and evaluating interaction design”
- Major Professor: Paul Bruski
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) Studio Art Minor Art History - University of Missouri-Columbia (1997)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Human Computer Interaction
- Graphic Design
- Creative Coding
- Game Design
- Data Visualization Animation (2D and 3D)
Research / Accomplishments
- Wiley, C., Merrill, R. (2016) “Design + Art = BFFs (Best Friends Forever): Queering the Pedagogical Framework for Interdisciplinarity beyond the First-year Core,” PCA (Pop Culture Association) conference, Seattle, Wa., March 22-25, 2016.
- Wiley, C. (2013). “A Case for Empathy, Connectivity, Authenticity, Trust, and Spirituality in Graphic Design Theory, Education and Practice.” AIGA National Conference, Design Educators Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 10-12, 2013.
- Wiley, C., Ewald, J., Hall, J., Ryther, J. (2013). “Empathy, Connectivity, Authenticity, Trust, and Spirituality (E_CATS): A Pedagogical Framework for Teaching Interaction Design.” International Association for Societies of Design Research (IASDR), Tokyo, Japan, August 26-30, 2013.
- Wiley, C., Wang, W. (2012). “Promoting intergenerational collaborations through virtual community garden application design.” AECT Design & Development paper and presentation, October 30-November 3, 2012, Louisville, Kentucky.
- Kang, S., Satterfield, D., Lasrado, J., Gonzalez, R., Ladjahasan, N., Wiley, C. (2012) “Tailoring Snack Food Package Design to Children as a Health Communication Strategy.” Design Research Society (DRS), Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 1-4 July 2012.
- Wiley, C., Saka, E., Tauber, S., Kang, S. (2011). “Ginger: A shopping cart interactive program. A case study for relational-cultural theory and activity theory in interaction design.” International Association of Societies of Design Research Conference Fourth World Conference on Design Research October 31-November 4, 2011
- Delft, the Netherlands. Wiley, C., Saka, E., Tauber, S., Kang, S. (2011). “Shopping Cart Interactive Program (SCIP).” HCI International July 9-14, 2011, Conference Proceedings, Orlando, Florida.
- Wiley, C., Wang, Y., Musselman, R. (2011). “Connecting generations: Preserving memories through thanatosensitive technologies.” HCI International July 9-14, Conference Proceedings, 2011 Orlando, Florida.
Honors and Awards
- 2016 Art Department Impact Award, Grand View University
- 2012 Phi Kappa Phi national honor society, inducted Spring 2012
- 2012 Excellence in teaching award, Iowa State University
- 2011 Graduate assistant award for extraordinary performance
- 2011 Phyllis Rogers Baer Graduate Scholarship in Graphic Design 2011
- HCI User Experience Design Challenge 2nd place
- 2010 Package design published in “The Big Book of Packaging”
- 2010 Logo design published in “Master’s Library, Volume 3” by LogoLounge
- 2010 Poster design published as runner-up in “Creative Quarterly,” Issue 19
- 2010 Logo design published in “Master’s Library, Volume 2” by LogoLounge
- 2009 Article written for “Des Moines Register,” January 20, 2009
- 2007 Article written in “Curve Magazine,” July 2007
- 2006 Appearance and interview in documentary movie, “The Asphalt Gospel”
- 2003 Recognized in “Print Magazine,” May 2003
- 2017 Faculty Research and Creative Practice Celebration, Grand View University
- 2016 MO Digital Publication Unveiling and Show, Moberg Gallery on Walnut, June 22, 2016
- 2016 Faculty Research and Creative Practice Celebration, Grand View University
- 2015 Run What You Brung, Grand View University, Prairie Meadows Gallery, October-November 2015
- 2012 Faculty Exhibition, Grand View University, Prairie Meadows Gallery, October-November 2012
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View's community of people makes it very unique. The relational aspect of our campus makes each day pleasurable.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|Working with amazing people in the art department is my favorite part of Grand View. We have taken many trips together to view art in other places and always return inspired. We are building a great program together.
- “Cyndi has always gone above and beyond for not only me, but many other art students as well. She is always there to help with not only advising, but with our art work and is always there for us. She makes students feel welcome and is always encouraging. To sum it up she is the bomb.com!” - Taylor Eckstrom