Student Emergency Grant Funds

Funded by GV Cares Donations

 Enrolled students who are experiencing a financial emergency  - defined as an unforeseen expense - may apply for emergency grants funded through the GV Cares Emergency Fund. Students also will be referred to additional campus, community, and financial literacy resources to help address root causes or contributing factors to the financial emergencies, and help students stay on track to graduate. The GV Cares Emergency Fund is made possible by the generous donations of staff, faculty members, alumni and friends of Grand View.

GV Cares is not a substitute for financial aid. Students looking for GV Cares assistance must first accept all offers and available funding before a grant is considered.

Expenses covered by the emergency fund:

Examples of unforeseen expenses and required documentation include, but are not limited to

  • Assistance with rent (a late notice or copy of lease)
  • Childcare (a letter from a childcare provider)
  • Car repair (mechanic's estimate)
  • Food/meals
  • Gas
  • Medical/dental expenses (medical bill)
  • Public transportation/bus pass
  • Books

Expenses not covered by GV Cares:

  • Tuition, fees, study abroad
  • Parking tickets, library fines
  • More than one emergency grant request in any 12 month period.

Eligibility requirements

Any GVU student may apply for emergency funds. Each applicant must meet the following criteria:

  • Demonstrate financial hardship
  • Be currently enrolled as a degree seeking student
  • Exhausted all offered financial aid resources to the student

The maximum GV Cares allotted to a student is $500 per 12 month period. Most grants range from $300-$500. In most situations, payment will go directly to the vendor or another third party, not to the student. In some instances, receipts may be needed.

GV Cares applications are processed within 24-48 hours.


For more information, please contact Michelle Martin, Director of Viking Central at (515) 263-2941,  Ms. Julie Bantz, Controller at (515) 263-2847, Dustin Reis, Financial Aid Advisor at (515) 263-2819 or Jessica Asberry, Financial Aid Advisor at (515)263-2995.

Additional Resources for Students

Student Relief Resources


Giving to GV Cares

Students who benefit from GV Cares are very appreciative and grateful for this support. GV Cares is funded by alumni, staff, faculty and friends of GVU. If you are interested in donating to GV Cares, click here.