How can I find out if I am eligible for Veterans educational benefits?
You may refer to the VA Education website. At this site you can read through a great deal of information regarding education benefits and what may be available to you, as well as apply for benefits. If you think you may be eligible for the GI BILL® it is recommended that you go ahead and apply for benefits as that is the best way to determine your eligibility.
How do I know what VA Chapter I am?
After applying for benefits you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA. This will tell you what chapter of benefits you are qualified for and how many months of eligibility you have left. If you are Chapter 33 it will also tell you what tier of benefits you will receive. If you cannot locate your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), please contact the GI BILL®Education center at: 1-888-442-4551 to inquire about your chapter, as well as request another copy of your COE.
Will the GV Certifying Official be able to tell me whether I am eligible for a GI Bill® and which chapter to choose?
No. The eligibility can only be determined by the VA after you apply for the benefit. It is always recommended that individuals who are potentially eligible for benefits submit an application to the VA. The Certifying Official will not choose which Chapter of Benefit to use, but will provide information for the veteran (or dependent) to make the best decision, and guide you through the steps to apply.
Can I use two chapters of the GI BILL® at the same time?
No. However, once you use up one chapter of benefits, you may be eligible for an additional 12 months of benefits under Chapter 33. Please contact GI BILL® Education center at 1-888-442-4551 for more information.
I am a veteran and qualify for benefits. Should I still complete the FAFSA?
Yes. You may be eligible for federal and state aid in addition to your Veteran Educational Benefits.
Will my Reserves/National Guard basic training and/or AIT training transfer to my college work at Grand View?
Probably not because these training programs are typically so military specific. However, if you have submitted an application for admission to Grand View and your Joint Services Transcript or CCAF Transcript from that training, we will evaluate for transfer for you. In fact, the VA requires us to evaluate past education if you are receiving benefits.
I can't find my DD 214. How can I get another one?
Simply print the request form or call 1-800-827-1000 and ask them to send you Form SF 180.
I don't have my Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Where can I get one?
Check your personnel files from when you enlisted in the Reserves/National Guard. You should have been given a NOBE after finishing your AIT training. If you do not have one, contact the administrative officer at your Guard or Reserve unit.
I made a change in my enrollment. Should I notify the School Certifying Official?
Yes! Changes in enrollment can affect your G.I. Bill benefits, including the risk of overpayment and personal debt to the VA. Please notify the School Certifying Official with any changes to your schedule. Remember, the VA will only pay for coursework that is part of the major academic plan.
How do I know if my semester enrollment has been certified?

The Grand View VA Certifying Official certifies all eligible students prior to each semester, but only if you are registered. If you register late or want to know for certain that you have been ‘certed’ please contact:

All chapters: Kristin Clemens, 515-263-2818

When will my money start coming?
Veterans benefits are paid a month in arrears. That means that you must be attending school for one full month at the beginning of each term before you begin to receive your money.
I attended last semester but did not apply for VA benefits until this term, even though I was eligible. Can I still get paid for last term?
We can back certify you for up to a year as long as you were indeed eligible during that time.
I attended another school before and received MGIB there. What do I have to do to have those benefits continue now that I'm at Grand View?
You need to complete a VA Form 22-1995 – Request for Change of Place of Training or Program. This form can be obtained from Grand View and when completed must be submitted to Grand View. Fill out this form online.
How can I get transfer credits applied from that previous school?
When you apply for admission to Grand View, request that your prior school(s) submit an official transcript to:

Grand View Admissions
1200 Grandview Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50316

We will evaluate your prior education for possible transfer of your credits and they will notify you of their decision.
I think my VA monthly payment is wrong. How can I find out?
Call the St. Louis RPO at 1-888-442-4551 and choose to speak to a real person instead of using the automated menu. Have your SSN and your credit hour enrollment schedule in front of you.
If I get deployed, will I have to pay back any VA money I may already have received?

Upon proof of actual deployment you must bring a copy of your orders to Grand View as soon as possible after you receive them. If you do not have time to bring them, send them to:

Kristin Dvorak, Registrar's Office
1200 Grandview Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50316

The office will submit a withdrawal of enrollment to the VA under mitigating circumstances-deployment. Your entitlement draw will be stopped, but you will not be required to pay back any money the VA has already paid you for the semester.

What happens if I just stop coming to school and fail to officially notify either the university or the VA?
You will have wasted money on a semester you didn’t gain from, you will have all F’s on your transcript, and you will have to repay the VA.