Vocational Rehabilitation

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program or Voc. Rehab. The VR&E program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

Chapter 31 Handout

To use Vocational Rehab at Grand View University you must first meet with a VR&E counselor and be approved.

Once approved for an educational program by your counselor you will:

  • Apply and be accepted as a student at Grand View University (if you are not already a student).
  • Request all military transcripts (Joint Services Transcript and/or CCAF) be released to Grand View.
  • Work with an academic advisor to register for classes in your program of study.
  • Notify the Military Certifying Official of your registration. 

Your VR&E counselor will provide a VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization for Benefits).

The Veterans Service Office will:

  • Certify your registration to your VR&E counselor.
  • Notify Student Accounts that Voc. Rehab will pay for your tuition.

Student Accounts will:

  • Place funds on your Grand View University account to purchase books and supplies at the Grand View University Bookstore.
  • Funds will be available generally 1-2 weeks prior to the start date of your classes.