Parents & Families
Congratulations! Your student is interested or has made the decision to study abroad. This will be an excellent opportunity for your child to grow personally, inter-culturally, academically, and professionally. Your support and interest will help immensely to his or her success.
As your student explores the study abroad option, let us help answer some of the questions that you might have, assist you in general preparations, and give access to some helpful resources. Throughout the study abroad process parents, guardians, and families can play an important role in the health and safety of participants by helping them make decisions and by influencing their behavior overseas.
Your Next Steps
- Be informed about and involved in the decision of your student to enroll in a particular program.
- Obtain and carefully evaluate your student's program materials, as well as related health, safety, and security information.
- Discuss with your student his or her travel plans and activities that may be independent of the study abroad program.
- Engage your student in a thorough discussion of safety and behavior issues, insurance needs, and emergency procedures related to living abroad.
- Be responsive to requests from the program sponsor for information regarding your student.
- Keep in touch with your student.
- Be aware that your student themselves, rather than the program, may most appropriately provide some information.
Quoted from NAFSA: Association of International Educators Responsible Study Abroad: Good Practices for Health and Safety