Dr. Alec Zama
Title: Professor of Business Admin/Econ
Dept.: Business Administration
Office: Krumm Center 7
I was born and grew up in Moldova, one of the former republics in the former Soviet Union. I went to the university in Moldova where I completed my undergraduate degree in horticulture. I worked as an assistant manager and then as a manager in Moldova before coming to the USA in 1994. After coming to the USA, I completed my masters (MBA) at the University of Arkansas and then my doctorate (DBA) at St. Ambrose University. Prior to starting my teaching career at Grand View, I worked as a manager of an international exchange program for the US Department of State and consulted on international business. I also worked as an interpreter and translator for English-Romanian and English-Russian projects. I understand six languages but I am fluent in three only. I enjoy sports (mostly watching on TV) and reading about leadership:).
- D.B.A. - St. Ambrose University, Davenport, Iowa, May 2012
- Dissertation: Corporate Elites - How Do They Come to Be: An Analysis of TMT Composition Change following CEO Succession
- M.B.A. - University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, May 1997
- Diploma - Agricultural Management, Agricultural
- Training Institute, Chisinau, Moldova, November 1993 (The transcripts were evaluated by an accredited transcript evaluation agency in the U.S.A. and were assessed as one year credit in a Master's program at an accredited university in the U.S.A.)
- B.S. - Horticulture, Agricultural State University of Moldova (formerly known as Kishinev Agricultural Institute - Frunze), Chisinau, Republic of Moldova, March 1988
- Certified Facilitator - Certified Facilitator of the Student Leadership Challenge, The Student Leadership Challenge, Wiley, January 2016
- Certified Practitioner - The MBTI Step I and Step II Instruments, Myers & Briggs Foundation, Chicago, Illinois, July 2017
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Strategic Management Leadership (Certified Facilitator of the Student Leadership Challenge)
- Organizational Behavior (Myers-Briggs Certified Practitioner)
Research / Accomplishments
- Human Resources Management (HRM) Practices at Integrity Construction Services (ICS), Teaching Case to be Presented at Midwest Academy of Management Conference, Fargo, North Dakota, October 2016
- Antecedents to TMT Composition: The Role of Incoming CEO, Paper presented at Midwest Academy of Management Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 2014
- Impact of High-CSE CEO on Top Management Team Composition and Size, Paper presented at Midwest Academy of Management Conference in Itasca, Illinois, October 2012
- Corporate Elites - How Do They Come to Be: An Analysis of TMT Composition Change following CEO Succession, Dissertation for the Completion of the Doctorate of Business Administration Program at St. Ambrose University, Davenport, Iowa, May 2012
- Organizational Culture and Employee Agreement on the Boundary between In-role and Organizational Citizenship Behavior (OCB) as an Extra-role Behavior, Paper presented at the Midwest Academy of Management Conference in Omaha, Nebraska, October 2011
- A Protean Approach to Global Careers, Paper presented at the Midwest Academy of Management Conference in Chicago, Illinois, October 2009
- Propositions for a Natural Experiment, Presented at the Midwest Academy of Management Conference in Chicago, Illinois, October 2009
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|I liked the size of the university. This allows me to develop close relationships with students, other faculty and staff members. I like the collegial atmosphere in our department. Also, I like that GV is located in Des Moines. This allows our students to find various internship and community leadership experiences.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I liked the academic freedom that we have to be creative in developing our courses. I like the relationships that I develop with my advisees and with the Viking Leadership Credential students. I like coming to work every day.
- "Alec Zama has always pushed me to do my best. When needing help, he always goes out of his way to find the resources to help me. Every time I receive an accomplishment, he ensures to recognize it by sending a quick "congratulations" email. He is one of my go-to persons." - Magda Almendarez