Dr. Matthew Plowman
Title: Professor of History
Office: Jensen Hall 109
Dr. Plowman grew up in Steinbeck country in Monterey and Salinas, California. He spent his high school years on the high prairies of Nebraska before he received his transformational education at Dana College. Because of Dana, Dr. Plowman has engaged in the same vocation, which has brought him to Grand View where he hopes to impart the same transformational education that he received.
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1999
- M.A., University of Nebraska-Omaha, 1995
- B.A., Dana College, 1993
- Waldorf College, Iowa, 2000-2009
- Rogers State University, Oklahoma, 1999-2000
- Midland Lutheran College, Nebraska, 1999
- Dana College, Nebraska, 1993-1999
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Primary field: Modern European History
- Secondary fields: World History, Ancient & Medieval History
- Specialization: Nationalism, Imperialism, and Global Conflict
Research / Accomplishments
- Publications related to the Indo-German ("German-Hindu") Conspiracy of WWI involving Indian and Irish nationalism as well as British and American intelligence organizations.
- Related papers presented at: World War I International Conference, Queen Mary University, London, 2014; Roger Casement International Conference, Tralee, Ireland, 2013; Nationalism and Globalisation Conference, London School of Economics, 2009; Odd Alliances Colloquium, Balliol College, Oxford University, 2009; Galway International Conference on Colonialism, University of Ireland-Galway, 2004.
- San Francisco Giants
- Nebraska Cornhuskers
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View has a unique combination of a smaller university with close student-faculty collaboration in a capital city rich in field opportunities and internships in government, law offices, advocacy groups, museums (state, private, military, and living history), and businesses. Many Grand View students get involved with national elections that receive high profile coverage because of Iowa's place in elections.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|The Grand View community is very friendly with and supportive of students, but also each other as staff, administrators, and faculty. Grand View is proof that synergy works.