Dr. Cathy Beck-Cross
Title: Associate Professor of Social Work
Dept.: Social Work
Office: Rasmussen Center 130
Prior to joining Grand View in 2013, Dr. Beck-Cross practiced individual, family, and community social work in the areas of mental health, substance abuse, child protection, and pre K-12 public education.
- B.S. in Psychology from Iowa State University (1982)
- M.S.W. in Social Work from University of Iowa (1997)
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Drake University (2012)
GV Start Date
Areas of Expertise
- Predictors of adolescent suicidal behaviors
- Community organization
- Program development and project management
- Suicide prevention and postvention
- Grant writing
- Licensed Master Social Worker, State of Iowa
- Family Development Specialist, University of Iowa
- Certificate of Nonprofit Management, Iowa State University
- Critical Incident Stress Management (individual, group), American Red Cross
- Tregoe, basic and advanced processes training
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Research Award, Iowa Educational Research and Evaluation Association, Iowa City, IA, December 2013
- Selected for Early Career Faculty & Researchers Mentoring Seminar at the American Educational Research Association conference, Philadelphia, PA, April 2014
- Phi Alpha Honor Society, University of Iowa
- Micro- and Macrosystem Predictors of High School Male Suicidal Behaviors, accepted for publication in October 2015 Children & Schools (NASW Press). Advance publication available electronically August 6, 2015. Conducted in partnership with Dr. Robyn Cooper, Drake University.
- Traveling (my motto is "anywhere clean and safe")
- Eating at ethnic restaurants (and practicing cooking of various cuisines)
- Baking decadent cheesecakes
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Students at Grand View get the personal attention they need to be successful both as students and as future practitioners in their future fields.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I appreciate the opportunity to develop positive and supportive relationships with students, and see them grow and change over the course of their educational journey. It is amazing to watch students develop into future colleagues.