Student Employment Program

Student employment programs provide part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing you to earn money to help pay education expenses and reduce the financial burden.

Types of Financial Aid

Grand View's student employment program allows eligible undergraduate or graduate students to earn money for school or other expenses at a part-time on-campus job. Need-based employment is funded by the federal work study program, and awards are based on calculated need as determined by information provided on the Free Application of Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Typical Hours & Pay

Many students are eligible for student employment. Research indicates that working an average of 15 to 20 hours per week will not hinder academic performance and may in fact help promote success. For this reason, students employed in hourly paid positions will be limited to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Employment awards generally range between $500 and $1,500 per year. The typical position pays minimum wage. Pay is dependent upon hours worked and does not show as an automatic credit on your bill. Student employment payroll checks are issued by Viking Central on the 10th of the month, or the following Monday should the 10th fall on the weekend.

Finding a Position

The student employment award is not a guarantee of employment. Student employment jobs are posted electronically on Handshake. There is competition for on-campus jobs. You should review the jobs postings often and act quickly. When you find a position of interest, contact the campus employer to arrange an interview. You may be required to complete a personal data form to detail past experiences, skills and hours available to work. Viking Central is available for help on appropriate dress and interviewing skills.

Once You're Hired

All first time student employees must complete the necessary paperwork (I-9Federal W-4 & State of Iowa W-4) and turn them in to Viking Central. Students may NOT under any circumstances begin work without completing this documentation.

You are responsible for establishing a work schedule with your supervisor so that you can earn the total amount of your work award. It is not possible for Grand View to make up any award that you do not earn.

Tax Information 

Students are not automatically exempt from having to pay taxes. Your earnings are subject to both federal and state income taxes. However, certain student workers will be exempt from Social Security tax and Medicare tax (FICA taxes) withholding. An individual who is a half-time undergraduate student or a half-time graduate student who is not considered a professional, career or full time employee will qualify for the student FICA exemption with respect to services performed at or for institutions of higher education in which they are enrolled.

In order to have the status of a student, an employee’s services must be incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study. Whether an employee’s services are incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study is determined on the basis of the relationship of the employee with the organization for which such services are performed as an employee. The educational aspect of the relationship, as compared to the service aspect, must be predominant in order for the employee’s services to be incident to and for the purpose of pursuing a course of study.

The student FICA exemption applies to qualified student wages earned during a term in which the student is enrolled, and who satisfy the following half-time semester or summer session standards:

Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
6 credit hours per semester 6 credit hours per semester
3 credit hours per summer  3 credit hours per summer

1 credit hour per Dissertation Research

If a student is in the last semester of a course of study and enrolled in the number of hours needed to complete the degree program, the student will be eligible for the FICA exemption. 

We recommend students consult their personal tax advisor or the IRS with questions in regards to tax decisions and their specific circumstances.

International Student Employment

If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will generally need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)
  • Severe economic hardship 

M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies.

For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus training employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Some tax regulations may differ for international students, we recommend using the resources below and consulting your personal tax advisor or the IRS with specific tax questions.

International Student Employment Resources