Mr. Kent Henning
Dept.: Office of the President
Office: Humphrey Center W12
Kent Henning is the 13th president of Grand View University. Since his arrival, he has guided the university to unprecedented growth in virtually every area, including full-time enrollment, residential student population, expansion and renovation of university facilities, the addition of graduate education and undergraduate academic programs, and the expansion of athletics with national championship teams. His vision to reconstitute Grand View as a 21st century version of the institution created by its founding Danish immigrants has resulted in a vibrant residential campus that draws students from all over the U.S. and from many other countries who want to immerse themselves in the philosophy of educating the whole person – mind, body and spirit.
Henning’s involvement with the central Iowa community is key to the growth of the university and the many opportunities the community affords Grand View students – from internships, clinicals, and student teaching to entrepreneurial partnerships and full-time employment after graduation. His community activities span both local and state organizations:
- UnityPoint Health System, board member and member of Finance Committee
- UnityPoint Health-Des Moines, board member and past chair
- Bankers Trust Co., community advisory board member
- Des Moines Embassy Club, board member
- The Greater Des Moines Partnership, board member
- United Way of Des Moines Education Annual Fund Drive, chair
- The Greater Des Moines Business Education Council, member
The President’s involvement in the higher education community allows Grand View to influence policy, share ideas, and stay abreast of new trends. He participates in numerous organizations on both state and national levels.
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), Chair of the Council of Presidents
- Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities (NECU), Executive Committee member
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU), past member of board, executive committee and tax policy committee
- Iowa Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (IAICU), member, past chair
- Iowa College Foundation (ICF), member
- Lutheran Education Conference of North America (LECNA), member
Henning graduated from Wartburg College summa cum laude with a bachelor of arts in English and communication arts. He earned his master of business administration with honors from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University.