Ms. Rachel Schwaller
Title: Associate Professor of Art and Design
Office: Rasmussen Center 108
Rachel Merrill-Schwaller is an artist and faculty member at Grand View University. She currently teaches a variety of Art History and Studio courses. She holds a Fine Arts degree from Northwestern College in Minnesota and a Masters of Fine Art from Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan. Her work in art history explores the use of art history as application for artists. She is also a working artist, having exhibited her work in various parts of the country including Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis. She is active in the local art community, sharing a passion for art and education of the arts within the Des Moines area.
Check Out My Website
- M.F.A. - Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI (2004)
- B.A. Studio Arts - Northwestern College, St. Paul, MN (2001)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Art History
- Creative Process and Practice
- 2017 It’s Always a Competition, Graceland College, Lamoni, IA
- 2016 Iowa Woman’s Art Exhibit, Iowa State Capital, Des Moines, IA
- 2016 Built ft2 Exhibition, Des Moines Art Center Gala, Des Moines, IA
- 2016 MO Multimedia Exhibit, Des Moines, IA
- 2016 Arise and Act!, The Residential, Des Moines, IA
- 2014 Run What Ya Brung, Faculty Exhibition, Grand View University
- 2014 Window Dressing, Art Meets Fashion, Des Moines, IA
- 2012 Faculty Exhibition, Grand View University, Des Moines, IA
- 2009 “Interactive”, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- 2009 Faculty Exhibition, Grandview University, Des Moines, IA
- 2008 “2nd Annual Jane360 Exhibition”, Fitch Gallery, Des Moines, IA
- 2008 Sub-Ritual. EVAC, Des Moines, IA Jane 360, Fitch Gallery, Des Moines, IA I’ll Show you Mine..., Polk Count Heritage Gallery, Des Moines, IA
- 2007 Full Frontal, The Art of Confrontation, Des Moines, IA The Shoe Show, Fitch Gallery, Des Moines, IA Online Show, EVAC, Des Moines, IA
- 2006 Adrift, Fitch Gallery, Des Moines, IA
- 2005 “I Love It, But It Doesn’t Match My Sofa”, EVAC, Des Moines, IA
- 2006 Faculty Exhibition, Rossmor Gallery, St. Paul, MN
- 2004 Thesis Exhibition, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- 2004 Cultural Radar, Richard M. Ross Museum, Delaware, OH
- 2003 Printed Matter, Forum Gallery, Cranbrook Academy, Bloomfield Hills, MI
- 2001 Identity, Denler Gallery, Northwestern College, St. Paul, MN
- Collecting Kitsch Art
- Popular Culture Studies
- Aerobic Videos
- Competitive sporting events
- Obsessive knitting rituals
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View's Art department develops creative people who, through a holistic educational experience, develop skills that prepare them for individual career paths.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|Working with the Art department faculty in a collaborative process is one of my favorite parts of working at Grand View.