Dr. Bryan McQuide
Title: Assoc Prof of Political Science
Dept.: Political Science
Office: Rasmussen Center 128
I completed my Ph.D. in political science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I my concentrations were in American political institutions and interest group lobbying. I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and went to college at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, where I majored in political science and double minored in economics and history. From there I went on to the University of Connecticut-Storrs, where I completed my masters degree in political science with a concentration in international relations. One course I took there forever changed my academic life as I became interested in American policymaking institutions. Then, I found my way back to the great Midwest by going to the University of Illinois for my Ph.D.
I have taught courses at the University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Illinois State University, University of Idaho and now at Grand View University. I enjoy teaching courses in American politics and public policy as well as conducting research on interest group lobbying and technology policymaking.
My wife, Jonette, and I live in Des Moines, Iowa with our son Zachary and Boston Terrier, Ashy.
Check Out My Website
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire - Political Science (1995)
- M.A., University of Connecticut - Political Science (1997)
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Political Science (2007)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Interest groups lobbying
- Congressional and state legislative deliberation of new issues
- American political institutions
- Technology policy
- Qualitative research methods
Research / Accomplishments
- Presented papers at the Midwest, Southern, Western and American Political Science Association conferences
- McQuide, Bryan S., Candace C. Young and Bobbi Gentry (2013) “APSA Teaching & Learning Conference
Track Summary: Curriculum and Program Assessment” PS: Political Science & Politics 46.3: 649-651.
- McQuide, Bryan S. “Congress” Textbook Chapter for Government in the Fastlane, Bypass Publishing.
- University of Idaho Gamma Phi Beta Chapter Professor of the Year Award (2010)
- University of Illinois Department of Political Science Marvin G. Weinbaum Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching (2006)
- University of Illinois Graduate Teaching Certificate (2002)
- Grand View University - Faculty Distinguished Service Award (2017)
Research Grants & Awards
- Southern Political Science Association Prestage-Cook Travel Award, 2007
- University of Illinois Political Science Department Dorman Conference Travel Award, 2007
- Southern Political Science Association Artinian Travel Award, 2009
- University of Idaho Research Office Seed Grant, 2009-2010
- University of Idaho Human Community Research Consortium, 2010-2011
- University of Idaho College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences Kurt Olsson Early Career Research Fellowship, 2010-2011
Professional Association Memberships
- American Political Science Association
- Political Science Education section
- Political Organizations & Parties section
- Science, Technology and Environmental Politics section
- State Politics and Policy section
- Western Political Science Association
- Midwest Political Science Association
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Our commitment to students first and providing students with a liberal arts based education that teaches them how to think critically about problems we face as a society and how to solve them. And we have combined this with our Christian heritage with a commitment to social justice and ethics by asking students to consider the moral implications of the societal decisions we make.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I love working with a great group of colleagues and students!