Title: Assistant Professor of Biology (Anatomy)
Office: Elings Hall 2A
- Des Moines University: M.S. in Anatomy (2014)
- Southern Nazarene University: B.S. in Graphic Design & Biology (2008)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
Research / Accomplishments
- Contributing Author • Meachen JA, Janowicz AC, Avery JE, Sadleir, RW. Ecological changes in coyotes in response to the ice age megafaunal extinctions. PLosONE. 2014 December; 9(12): e116041. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0116041.
- Wang S, Hannafon BN, Wolf RF, Zhou J, Avery JE, Wu J, Lind SE, Ding WQ. Characterization of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)-induced heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression in human cancer cells. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2014 May; 25(5):515-25.
- Wang S, Avery JE, Hannafon BN, Lind SE, Ding WQ. Zinc protoporphyrin suppresses cancer cell viability through a heme oxygenase-1-independent mechanism. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2013 June; 85(11):1611-8.
- Zhou J, Zhang S, Xue J, Avery J, Wu J, Lind SE, Ding WQ. Activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α (PPARα) suppresses hypoxia-inducible factor 1α (HIF-1α) signaling in cancer cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2012 Oct;287(42):35161-9
- Finding good art (especially science-related art)
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|It's very valuable that Grand View students get to work in small groups in our own cadaver lab for undergraduate students. This is merely one piece of evidence that demonstrates how Grand View values thorough, individualized education.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|I love that Grand View fosters a close, positive atmosphere among and between students and faculty. My favorite part about working here is absolutely taking part in that environment by collaborating with students in the lab.
- “Jori always takes the time to listen to my concerns and help develop a plan of action. She is knowledgeable and loves to share her wisdom. She was recently a student herself so she relates well to students here at GVU.” - Allyssa Angle