Federal Tuition Assistance (GoArmyEd)

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is a federally funded program that pays schools directly for the cost of tuition for soldiers. FTA pays 100% of your tuition cost up to $250 per credit hour and up to $4,500 per fiscal year (October 1 - September 30). Fees are authorized for payment as long as they are directly related to the course(s).  Soldiers must provide details of fees on the uploaded statement of tuition cost (see application process below). FTA cannot be used for books. Per Department of Defense guidelines, undergraduate flat rate tuition must be broken down in a “per credit” cost. For the 2024-2025 academic year, this “per credit” cost would be $1,100.39/credit.

FTA can be used towards one degree or certificate completion at Grand View. Soldiers are limited to 16 credit hours per fiscal year and 130 total credit hours toward an undergraduate degree.

For more information about FTA, please visit Iowa National Guard’s website at www.iowanationalguard.com.


If you are an actively drilling member of the Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserves and have served at least 12 months after the graduation from your initial entry training (IET – Basic Training and AIT) you may be eligible to apply for and receive Federal Tuition Assistance.  

Applying for Benefits

The deadline to apply for FTA is the start date of the course(s).  You must apply for FTA each semester because the application is specific to the courses you are registered for.

1. Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance by creating a profile and uploading the four documents listed below:

  • Statement of Understanding (signed by you and commander) (12 months)
  • Degree Plan/Degree Audit (from Academic Advisor)
  • Class Schedule (from Web Info System)
  • Cost Verification/Detailed Bill (from Student Accounts)

2. Complete/Submit application and you will receive two emails:

  • Application received
  • Application approved

3. Print approved authorization(s)

4. Provide copies of approved authorizations to the Veterans Services Coordinator - POC for questions: Michael Robinson at (515) 252-4422.

Receiving Payments

FTA is applied to your Grand View account after you provide the approved authorization(s) to the Veterans Services Office. The Veterans Services Office will log your authorizations and provide copies to Student Accounts. Student Accounts will credit your Grand View account for the amount of the authorization(s). Grand View University invoices GoArmyEd on a quarterly basis and physically receives the money for your tuition and fees.