M.Ed 4+1 Program
Earn a Master's degree in Education in 5 years with Grand View's 4+1 program
Beginning Fall 2021, Grand View University is offering a 4+1 program to earn a Master's of Education in just five total years of schooling. Program participants begin taking graduate level courses while still working on their undergraduate degree. After obtaining a bachelor's degree, 4+1 program participants will complete five more courses within a year - each course running eight weeks. Participants are encouraged to begin teaching during this time. The five graduate courses are structured to cater to a teacher's schedule - including having the summer off!
- Must be at junior status before applying and must apply no later than the semester before you expect to graduate with your undergraduate degree.
- A Grand View cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a 3.5 cumulative GPA in your education courses is required
- Request 3 letters of recommendation: 2 should be from education faculty and 1 can be someone of your choosing. You will request these when you complete the graduate application.
- Complete the “Assessment of Dispositional Professional Qualities” with the Education Department
- You must demonstrate proficiency in writing through submission of an essay and/or score on a standardized writing exam (such as the CBASE). If you take the CBASE exam you must earn a score of four or higher.
- You must be a member in good standing of the Education Program and not on a plan for improvement.
Applicants who do not meet all four of the requirements may still be considered for admission to the program on a case-by-case basis. In these instances, the applicant will be interviewed by the department’s Admission Committee.
Students who are considering this program need to plan carefully as the program requires students to take full loads and perhaps courses in the summer. They are encouraged to begin working with an Education Department advisor as early as possible.
|Freshman & Sophomore year
||Take undergraduate classes as normal
||Apply to 4+1 program
||Begin taking graduate courses alongside undergraduate classes
|End of senior year
||Graduate with bachelor's degree
|End of senior year
||Begin regular teaching job
|First year of teaching
||Complete five courses, obtain master's degree
4+1 Program Advantages
- Save tuition dollars while still earning your Master's degree
- Receive a higher salary in most cases
- Obtain a second endorsement
- Develop school leadership skills
- Opportunity to become an instructional coach, mentor or lead teacher
- Expand your knowledge of current education issues
- Move one step closer to earning your doctorate