Dr. John Lyden
Title: Professor of Liberal Arts & Dir of the Core Curriculum
Dept.: Liberal Arts
Office: Jensen Hall 15
- B.A., Wesleyan University, Philosophy (1981)
- M.A., Yale University, Theology (1983)
- Ph.D., University of Chicago, Theology (1989)
Start Date at Grand View
Areas of Expertise
- Religion and Popular Culture
- Religion and Film
- Interfaith Dialogue
Research / Accomplishments
- Editor of the Journal of Religion and Film (since 2011)
- Author of numerous published articles as well Film as Religion: Myths, Morals and Rituals (NYU Press)
- Editor of The Routledge Companion to Religion and Film
- Co-editor (with Eric M. Mazur) of The Routledge Companion to Religion and Popular Culture
- Co-editor (with Ken Derry) of The Myth Awakens: Canon, Conservativism, and Fan Reception of Star Wars (Wipf and Stock)
- Theology, Religion, and Popular Culture Network UK/USA founding member
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Grand View University Faculty Excellence in Scholarship Award
- 2008 Spiritus Award Winner: Outstanding Contribution to the Study of Religion and Film
- 2000 Richardson Professorship Winner
- 1989 Leo Baeck Institute Fellowship, New York City
I'm an ardent fan of film, and I have for several years attended the Sundance Film Festival to review films screened there.
Questions & Answers
|What makes Grand View unique among other universities?
|Grand View focuses on the individual student and their needs. Classes are small, and instructors know their students. The interdisciplinary core seminars introduce students to multiple ways of viewing the world.
|What is your favorite part about working at Grand View?
|Our professors are focused on student learning, and devoted to student success.