Certificate in School Counseling
Completely Online! Grand View now offers a 27-credit graduate certificate program in school counseling. This program allows students who have completed other graduate programs in counseling-related areas, such as clinical mental health counselor or marriage and family counseling to complete the Iowa educational requirements for school counseling. The Department of Counselor Education Programs is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career. Each new student is an opportunity to bring a different perspective, and we are always eager to diversify our program and the counseling profession. We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply.
View Course Requirements
Graduate study has often kept non-traditional students away due to barriers such as finances or life circumstances (e.g., disability). This is why this program is perfect for an individual who needs flexibility. Our online, eight-week courses allow students to work around their schedules. Each week, students will be expected to review the course materials, participate in learning activities and complete required assignments. All online classes are led by faculty who are licensed practitioners, leaders, and researchers in the field of counseling and whose work is prominent in the field.
Application to the Certificate in School Counseling (SC) program and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Admissions decisions for complete files will begin in January, but will continue on a rolling basis. Any applications completed after the program is full will be placed on a waitlist until there is an opening in the class.
Submit the following:
The following requirements will be met after acceptance but prior to the start of classes:
A non-refundable enrollment deposit of $125.00 will be required following acceptance to hold a student’s position in the class and will be applied to the first semester charges after the first week of the term when enrollment has been verified.
American Counseling Association (ACA) Student Membership and Professional Liability Coverage (students will be instructed on how to purchase easily and affordably before starting their clinical coursework).
After completing the School Counseling Certificate, you will:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge of the school counseling profession and legal and ethical practice basics.
- Show knowledge, awareness, and skills for counseling work and diverse groups nationally and internationally.
- Express how human growth and developmental stages interact with the counseling process.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in building, maintaining, and utilizing counseling relationships to address school-related issues and meet student goals.
- Show knowledge and understanding of career development, assessment, and group planning.
- Understand and demonstrate competency with counseling assessments, including knowledge of types of assessments, statistical concepts, and assessment tools.
- Understand the significance of research in informing counseling practice, and demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate available research to inform their counseling work.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage, de-escalate, and appropriately intervene in crisis settings involving students experiencing trauma, significant instability, and risk of suicide.
- Demonstrate skill in assessing and treating students in their practicum and internships clinical experiences.
Why Grand View?
- No GRE required
- Can transfer up to 12 credit hours of equivalent graduate work from regionally accredited schools (B or better)
- 27 credit hour program
- Spring and Fall cohorts