School Personnel to Teacher Pathway Program at Grand View University
Grand View University is committed to excellence in teacher training. We are working to address the teacher shortage, increase diversity in the teaching population, and help education by increasing pathways for teacher certification.
We are partnering with Des Moines Public Schools (Viking Contract) and other districts to assist School Personnel (staff members, paraeducators, etc.) who want to obtain a Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education and teaching license with endorsements in all areas of special education.
The program is designed for full-time working professionals and based on feedback from students in the previous cohort. Courses will run two nights on campus or via Zoom in the fall and spring, with daytime, evening, and/or weekend options in the summer. The estimated length of the Elementary Education degree with the K-12 All Instructional Strategist endorsement has two options varied in length with one additional semester for student teaching. Students in this program must begin no later than summer 2024.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Ginger Hermon at ghermon @ grandview.edu.
Ready to get started?
1. Complete a free undergraduate application for admission. Elementary Education as Academic Program and then K-12 Instructional Strategist All Endorsement as Academic Program 2.
2. Request that official transcripts (PDF) from all colleges and universities previously attended be sent to the Admissions Office. Transcripts must be sent regardless of whether credit was earned. If the official transcript is emailed, please send to admissions @ grandview.edu. If it is sent through postal mail, please use this address:
Grand View University
1200 Grandview Ave
Des Moines, IA 50316
3. Transfer students who have earned 24 credits or less must certify on their application for admission that they have graduated from an accredited high school or have earned their GED. A copy of that transcript may be required if there is no college experience.
4. Visit the FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid website and complete a 2024-2025 FAFSA application.
5. Submit the DMPS employee discount form, verifying that you are eligible for the Employer Partnership Advantage discount. This form supplies Grand View with the information needed to start the verification process.
Why Grand View?
Every student is assigned a trained faculty advisor to help them meet their educational goals.
Convenient schedule that allows you to progress quickly through your degree program while maintaining your important job serving as a paraeducator in your district.
Our team excels at working with transfer students, carefully reviewing previous coursework with you to make sure that all eligible courses you may have taken are considered in your future plan.
Grand View students are all eligible to receive the Paraeducator Generalist Certificate specified in Iowa Code 281-80 with three of the courses that are in our education program already.
Because we know mental well-being is important for today’s students and educators. Grand View University student teachers all receive Mental Health First Aid during student teaching.
We are committed to diversifying the teaching population.
View Sample Elementary Education Course Schedules:
14-20 Credit Pathway
36 Credit Pathway
View Course Descriptions
We are equipped to partner with your district if they received monies from the Iowa Workforce Development Grant. Please reach out to Rick Eftink at reftink @ grandview.edu to determine if we have an existing Memorandum of Understanding with your district and the possibility of creating one if our program is appealing to you.